Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Living in Fear!

For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline.

2 Timothy 1:7

I have lots of fears. I am afraid of getting older and the gray hair on my head. I fear sickness. I am afraid I didn’t spend my time wisely raising my children. I fear my teenagers! I am afraid of car accidents and bad choices. I am afraid of not having enough money and afraid we had too much. I am fearing the wrinkles on my forehead and the fact that I am sure somewhere between diapers and drivers licenses I have certainly lost my mind. I am afraid one day my husband will look at me and wonder what we are doing here. I am afraid mostly of the passing of time. This is just the short list I could go on about things like this and that, some trivial and some earth shattering. That is until I read this verse. I have not been given a spirit of fear. It doesn’t have to be this way. I was given a spirit of power and of love and of self-discipline. I think that is an interesting list of qualities. I think it is saying I don’t have to be fearful because I have the power of God residing in me. I don’t have to be fearful but I do need to love. Love like crazy everyone who crosses my path especially those crazy teenagers. But another important aspect is self-discipline. You see we so often lack self-discipline when we are living in fear. When I am afraid I am losing my kids to the world I become irrational. I say things I don’t mean and start arguments I don’t need to have. I am not self-disciplined in my speech or my actions when I am living in a gripping fear. The truth is I don’t need to live this way. No one does. All I have to do is look to my power source. Read the word. Give it over in prayer and wait for the peace that passes all understanding to come. No fear only power. No fear only love. No fear only self-discipline. No fear but peace. You see fear is clearly not from God. Fear is a tool that Satan uses to keep us from the life God has waiting for us. We need to commit to not let Satan have this one. We need to get up each day and claim this for ourselves. Repeat after me “We DO NOT have a spirit of fear!” I want to go forward and live in this today. How about you?

Prayer:

Lord I thank you that in you I don’t need to fear. I thank you that you hold me in your arms and that you love me. I pray that I would take your word seriously and stop living in fear. That is not of you. You are awesome God. I love you!

~Amen

No comments: