Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Considering it "pure joy"!

Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.

James 1:2-4

Don’t you just love this verse? Who knew we would have so many opportunities to “consider it pure joy” this side of heaven. I mean really, I face trials upon trials, many of which I could never have even imagined. Teenagers alone provide ample opportunity daily for me to be “joyful”. But as usual what I love the most about God and His word is what it goes on to say. That in the end we will become mature and complete, not lacking anything. Wow! Isn’t that just amazing? He doesn’t just leave us hanging. He knows that if we persevere and just go with Him He will give us everything we need. We will someday be complete. I don’t know about you but so many days I am lacking so many things (sanity for starters) that this idea of completeness is simply amazing to me. Can you imagine being complete and not feeling like you got your skirt tucked in your panty hose? The fact that He wants us to be complete and lack nothing is a beautiful testimony to how much He loves us. So dear ones let’s just hang on. Let’s persevere and be strong in the Lord. Let’s develop a faith that when tested actually passes the test! Lately I feel like I have been barely passing by the skin of my teeth. I would like today to be different. Today I want to choose to face my trials with this completeness in mind. Holding it out in front of me like a rabbit chasing a carrot. Not giving up or giving in. Not settling. So often I let Satan get a foothold. I listen to his lies instead of reminding myself of the truth. We will face many trials this side of heaven, but this isn’t the end of the road. This is just a temporary pit stop. Yes it’s hard, but no it’s not where we will stay. Every day and every trial one step closer to our eternal home. Praise God! One way or another we are going to make it. We can either do it joyfully or like a size 10 woman wearing a pair of size 4 jeans. Just miserable. Either way we are going to get there. Today let’s choose joy. Let’s put on the pants that fit and laugh our heads off in the face of trials.

Prayer:

Lord I pray today that I will listen to your word and when I face a trial I will consider it pure joy. Thank you that you promise me someday I will be complete. Lord help me to develop perseverance and not to give up so easily. I can’t wait for the day that I lack nothing. Thank you for loving me so much that you want this for me.

Amen

No comments: