Thursday, July 31, 2008

Change of Seasons

Sorry I have been silent for a while. My life is seeing many changes right now. I guess the last few weeks were just a time for me to be silent and listen. I thought I would share today what I have been learning. I will return to our "bowl of fruit" next time. Thanks for being patient with me.

There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven: a time to be born and a time to die, a time to plant and a time to uproot, a time to kill and a time to heal, a time to tear down and a time to build, a time to weep and a time to laugh, a time to mourn and a time to dance, a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them, a time to embrace and a time to refrain, a time to search and a time to give up, a time to keep and a time to throw away, a time to tear and a time to mend, a time to be silent and a time to speak, a time to love and a time to hate, a time for war and a time for peace.

Ecclesiastes 3:1-8

It is funny how the seasons of life change. Some changes we are fully aware of and completely ready for. Others happen when we least expect and we are not even looking. It is not that they are things we wouldn’t expect to happen but the timing is often not how we had envisioned. I have been going through a change of seasons lately. Some of it I have handled well and was fully prepared for (like no more diapers, diaper bags, bottles, etc…) Other things have caught me so off guard my head is spinning and I am not handling them well. I have had two children move out of my house. One on good terms, one not. We got rid of our 12 passenger van that I loved. That van that represented my large family and many wonderful memories. I have a dog that is nearing the end and he has been my constant companion for 14 years. These are just a few of the things I was not prepared for but prepared or not they are happening. Deciding how to handle changes, not if there will be changes, is what I need to be doing with right now. There is no use living in denial or burying my head in the sand. Times are changing. I can choose to embrace the next season and praise God or I can choose to be grouchy and bitter. I have decided after a few grouchy and bitter days that I better just start praising God. I need to not long for what is no more but praise Him for the time I had. I also need to thank Him ahead of time for the next season. For the opportunities He will bring my way. I need to be fully yielded to Him and His plan. My plan needs to go. It doesn’t work and it never will. We need to drill that into our heads. Repeat after me: OUR PLANS DON”T WORK! His word clearly tells us to be ready for change and that there would be a season for everything. My days as a big van driver, 7 kids in the house, and 2 dogs running around are over. I just have to tell myself it is ok. I have been blessed with a beautiful new vehicle. I am sure there will be more dogs. And kids are supposed to move out. Not only that I am not living for this world anyway. This is all just temporal. I am preparing for eternity. Remember “we are just passing through”. I know that Lord willing my life will see many more changes. Some in the not so distant future. I will need to just keep going until the day I meet my King in the heavenlies. O what a glorious day that will be. I CAN NOT WAIT!

Prayer:
Lord thank you for all the blessings you have given me. Help me not to hang on to tightly to things that are just temporary. Help me through the change of seasons in my life. I give you all praise and glory for the things that have been in my life and for the things to come. I love you Lord.

3 comments:

boutcrazy said...

Thank you so much for sharing yourself with me this morning through this post and also with the Internet Cafe devotions. Praying for you today, as you go through this season and understanding fully how you feel.
Deborah

Karan said...

Please let me leave you with this verse, for it has ministered (and still does) to me through difficult seasons of raising children. Jeremiah 31:16,17

Thus says the Lord: "Refrain your voice from weeping, and your eyes from tears; for your work shall be rewarded, says the Lord, and they shall come back from the land of the enemy. There is hope in your future, says the Lord, that your children shall come back to their own border."

May God imprint this on your heart, knowing that your work as Mother will be rewarded. May He speak to you with this verse, and may it prove to be the balm that you need.
In His Love and Hope
Karan

Julie said...

I found you through the Cafe'.

I know your pain. I have had a child move out. Now she plans to move overseas for an extended period of time.

I remember when she moved out the first time and the emotions that came. She was 19 at the time.

Change, though for good, often brings on things that hurt. I wrote a piece on my blog a while back about "letting go". It's hard to let go. No one really prepares you for those things. But it is part of our reality, isn't it.

Thanks for sharing your heart. I left you a note over at the cafe also.

Julie