Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Fruit Bowl Living (part 2)

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. Against such things there is no law.

Galatians 5:22-23


Now let’s talk about joy. I know I have written a lot about it before but I want to just add a few more thoughts Anyway, love might come fairly easy to us but for many joy is another story. I love to wake up my kids singing. One song I sing often is:

This is the day (This is the day)
That the Lord has made (that the Lord has made)
I will rejoice (I will rejoice)
And be glad in it (And be glad in it)…….

One day my son looked at me like I was crazy and asked me how much coffee I had to drink this morning. I laughed but as I walked away I wondered how much joy he has really seen in me lately. Do I get up every day and say, “This is the day that the Lord has made and I will rejoice and be glad in it!” Or do I base everything on circumstance? If things are good and everyone is cooperating I will rejoice and if not you better stay out of my way! This is not what the song or the verse that the song is based on (Psalm 118:24) is saying. It is saying let us rejoice because this is the day the Lord made and that does not matter what we feel like or what is going on. People will not remember everything you said or did but they will remember how you made them feel. If you’re truly joyful others around you will pick up on that and it will make them feel pretty good. True joy is found in Christ alone. When we seek Him and His plan for our life true joy will come and people and circumstances will not be able to take that. We need to ask ourselves if we are truly joyful. If not what are the things that “steal” our joy. Are we too tired? Are we spending quiet time with God? Does our “talk” exceed our “walk”? If any of these or anything else is a joy “stealer” for you it’s ok. Recognize it. Confess it. Seek Him. He will make our joy complete.

Prayer:

Thank you Lord that you promise to make our joy complete. Show me today what is “stealing” my joy. Help me to weed out the things that aren’t important. Also give me a peace about the things I can not change.

Amen

No comments: