Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Living Life in a Bowl of Fruit?????(Part 1)

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. Against such things there is no law.

Galatians 5:22-23


How do I want to live? Or better yet how should I live? It’s better to ask myself that question since my want to and my should don’t always line up. Whenever I start thinking about this God brings me back to the same passage of Scripture every time. I always come back to the fruit of the spirit in Galatians. For many years I thought it was the fruits of the spirit and even though I was willing to be loving or kind I was not so good at patience and I figured that was pretty good because I apparently wasn’t given the rest. That is until I realized it is the fruit of the spirit. The fruit we will display because we have the spirit dwelling in us. We aren’t just given one or two but with the Holy Spirit we have the ability to display all of them in our life. It is the living proof that God is dwelling in us. It is how others will know. I want others to know don’t you?

So let’s start with the first one - love. I know we all feel love for others. We tend think it’s pretty simple. But is it really? I mean we can love little babies and puppies and things like that but what about the unlovely people in our life? Or the people that for one reason or another just make us crazy? Are we loving everyone unconditionally? Or do we put certain conditions on how much we love on someone based on what we get in return? People will disappoint us and if we don’t purpose in our hearts to love them unconditionally we are not really loving them. We are told in God’s word that love is only from God. So our unconditional love is just one other way to point people to our savior. Nothing we do separates us from the love of God and people around us, especially our children, need to know that nothing they do will stop you from loving them. Because of God’s love for us He does not repay us according to our iniquities or our sins as He should but instead He is the forgetter of wrongs and so should we be with those we love. Let’s all be real intentional today to love people like crazy and love them unconditionally. Well more from this fruity lady next time. (hey if I’m going to be a fruit it might as well be a good thing right???)

Prayer:

Lord thank you for the help of the Holy Spirit that we having dwelling in us. Help us to love like crazy whoever you put in our path today. Thank you that you first loved us and that love only comes from you. We all have the ability to love like this and I pray we would remember that even when someone in our life is difficult to love.

Amen

No comments: