Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Fruit Bowl Living (Part5)

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. Against such things there is no law.

Galatians 5:22-23

Next on our journey through the fruit of the spirit is kindness. Now I think this goes hand in hand with patience but it can be taken a step further. Not only when we are patient with our children and our family will we be showing them kindness that they will remember but they will also remember how kind we were to people around us. Either directly to them or behind their backs if we are not kind our children will pick up on that. Clothe yourself with kindness. This takes time. Sometimes we need to put aside our busy schedule to take time to show extra kindness to someone. Ask God. See if there is anyone around you that He would want you to show extra kindness to and help out. The more you show your kids this the more they see Jesus in you and the more attracted they will be to what you believe. You see life is so much more than teaching them what to believe but it is about why you believe it. What are you offering them that they would desire what you have more than what the world offers. The world is full of evil and unkind people. Show your kids something different. Teaching them what is right only goes so far. You must live it out. The time will come that they will need to own this for themselves. Show them something different with your kind words and your kind ways don’t just tell them. I didn’t do this enough when my kids were growing up. I didn’t want to be kind to someone who I thought would be a bad influence or wasn’t living like we were. I have been learning many lessons about showing kindness to people. Don’t you want to be remembered as being kind? I know I do!

Prayer:

Lord help me to be kind today. Help me to put aside my busy schedule and take time to show extra kindness to anyone you bring my way. Give me grace when others aren’t kind to me.

Amen

1 comment:

Hilsher Hollow said...

I just logged onto your blog and already love what you have to share. My oldest is 14 but I also am entering a new phase where all my children are no longer toddlers and for the most part have become wonderfully independent people.
Just a side note, I went to school with your hubby and I'm friends with Jen Robinson.
Valerie