Wednesday, September 3, 2008

A Wishin' and A Wantin'

Do not love the world or the things that belong to the world. If anyone loves the world, love for the Father is not in him. For everything that belongs to the world – the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride in one’s lifestyle – is not from the Father, but is from the world. And the world with its lust is passing away, but the one who does God’s will remains forever.

1 John 2:15-17

I don’t know about you ladies but the older I get (and yes I am getting older – the gray hair and wrinkles on the forehead are a dead giveaway) I am realizing how much of my life was wasted doing a lot of “a wishin’and a wantin”. I am not just talking about material things here. I am also talking about wanting kids to behave differently or wishing my childhood was different. Wondering what if my husband reacted differently or did everything that I am just sure he should be doing. Just sure that if these circumstances were different then things would be good. I would be different. I read something very interesting recently. It said that circumstances do not make us who we are. We are who we are and the circumstance just happens to bring that out in us - good or bad. That really hit home. All those days wasted. Days I could have just been turning things back to praise. We don’t know why things sometimes are the way they are. Mysteries - we may not know until we reach the other side. I will tell you what we do know. We do know how we can be different. Godly in spite of circumstances. It is all well laid out in His Word. It clearly tells us there will be trials and that we will have to die to flesh. That we will have to pick up our crosses daily and follow Him. I would have liked to have spent more time concentrating on that then on wanting things in my life to be different. In the words of my oh so wise husband, “it is what it is”. Sometimes life just is what it is. I just need to figure out how to glorify God the most in what I am going through. I am not talking about enduring abuse or any such thing. That is not what I am saying. I am just saying when the grass seems greener on the other side we can waist a lot of valuable time living in the “what ifs”. No more being a time waster. No more “wishin and wantin”. No more loving what the world has to offer or at least loving the idea of what we think it has to offer. Let’s just try to figure this thing out. We were placed here at this time for a specific purpose and if we spend our time wondering what if I guarantee you we will miss it. I don’t want to miss it. I missed too much already. How about you?????


Prayer:

Lord please forgive me for the time I wasted living in the what ifs. Today I commit to being different. I give you all thanks, all honor, and all praise due your name for how you will work all the circumstances together in my life for good and for your purpose. I love you Lord.

Amen

No comments: