Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Got Faith????

She went away and did as Elijah had told her. So there was food every day for Elijah and for the woman and her family. For the jar of flour was not used up and the jug of oil did not run dry, in keeping with the word of the Lord spoken by Elijah.

1 Kings 17:15-16

The widow at Zarephath. The whole story can be found in 1 Kings 17:7-24. As I read this today it struck me the faith she had. She was starving. There was no food to be found. What she had left was not going to last her and she thought she was going to make one last meal and die. God had other plans. Even though she was outside the “circle” of God’ s own people and was from a pagan nation she believed something about the God of Israel. She had faith. “She went away and did as Elijah told her”. I love that part. How often do we do what we are told? Especially if it is something hard. If you read the whole story in verse 9 God says that “He has commanded a widow” to supply Elijah with food. He was talking to this widow and she was listening. The future looked terrible but she was hearing and believing God. We are asked to have faith but we also need to position ourselves in a place where God can speak to us and use us and work in our lives. That is how our faith will grow. Does God ever ask you for something that you are sure is not good for you???? He was asking something huge of this widow and she acted out of obedience. I read in the notes in my Bible that the Lord does not ask more than He promises to give. Everything He asks is for our good and our benefit. I am sure she had moments of doubt and fear but she pressed on and was blessed tremendously for it. The flour was NEVER used up and the oil NEVER went dry. Even as the story goes on and her son becomes sick and she asks if it is to remind me of my sin, her son is healed and she is given the supreme blessing. She then truly acknowledges Elijah as a prophet from the One True God. Isn’t that our typical reaction also? When something bad happens we automatically go looking for the reason and doubt and question God’s care for us. Today I want to learn some lessons from this widow. I want to hear from God, trust what He tells me to do even if I think it is not a good idea, and when things get tough continue to know He has what’s best for me in mind.

Prayer: Lord give me a faith like widow at Zarephath. Teach me to trust you and your ways. I want your blessing. I want to hear from you, trust you, and have my faith grow. Thank you for loving me and always having my best interest in mind.

Amen

No comments: