Saturday, November 29, 2008

As She Lay Dying....

Is that the name of a movie title???? I can't remember. Anyway, I have spent the last week at hospice watching my husband's grandmother die. There are a lot of lessons that can be learned when you are privileged to witness something like this. I know it may seem odd to call it a privilege but I have had the opportunity to see life coming into the world and I have seen life come to an end and it is a privilege to be a part of this mysterious circle of life that God had ordained before the foundations of the earth. It is very bitter sweet when you know where they are going when its over and you know it is a better place. Grandma Carrie was an awesome grandma. She was full of grace and beauty on the inside and out. She was well loved and it is obvious by the people who have spent this past week with her. She has been surrounded by family and friends. It has been especially sweet to watch her 3 sons and Greg love on her. Seventeen years ago she loved on me. I was a bratty 17 year old having her first great grandchild. She didn't care she loved me and my son just the same. She took care of Chris when he was a baby and I went to work. I don't think I could possibly begin to tell you everything she taught him. She potty trained him and taught him his ABC's and 123's. She taught him to write his name and to pray before every meal. She showed him how to tie his shoes and button his buttons. She walked with him, played with him, mended his clothes, and read to him everyday. I think as I watch her life slowly coming to an end I am impressed the most with the lives she impacted. I know we say it all the time, that relationships are what matters but do we really live it out? I know she did. I can tell you though grandma was beautiful on the outside it was the time she invested in people that mattered the most, she was truly beautiful on the inside. Not her immaculate home, she can't be there now. Not her beautiful hair, she lost that through chemo. Not material things but the people she loved and cared for. I have been blessed to be in her life. I pray that her suffering soon come to an end and I thank God that I have the opportunity to be a part of this family.

1 comment:

kaycar said...

beautifully said....
carla