Monday, November 10, 2008

Be Still!

The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still.

Exodus 14:14

Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for Him; do not fret when men succeed in their ways, when they carry out their wicked schemes.

Psalm 37:7

Be still and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.

Psalm 46:10


Yesterday in church we were reading from Exodus 14. We came to verse 14. I had to look at that verse for a while. The Egyptians where in hot pursuit of the Israelites and Moses tells them to just be still. God will fight for them. I came home and looked into other verses telling us to be still. I really started wondering if we even know what it means to be still. I know I struggle. We live in a society that is never still. We can get a latte at McDonald's 24 hours a day. If we want to shop at midnight we can. Often times even in the quiet stillness of the night we are not still. We lay awake and our mind wonders. We are tormented by our thoughts. All our fears become overwhelming in that moment and even though we are alone and it is quiet we are not still. I wonder how many amazing things we miss because we just refuse to be still and know that He is God and peacefully rest knowing that He will fight for us. He is the same today as He was when the Israelites crossed the Red sea. He is the same today as He was when He calmed the storm in Mark 4 and told the wind to "be still". If even the wind and the seas obey Him why do we think what we are dealing with is too big for Him to handle? Today I want to start learning to be still. Won't you join me? When we get too busy let's cut a few things from our schedule. When we finally have the chance to be in a quiet place then let's have our thoughts "be still". He is God. He will fight for us. We are loved by the King.

Prayer~

Lord, teach me to be still. Reveal yourself to me. Help me to lay all my worries at your feet. Thank you that you fight for me and that you love me.

Amen


No comments: