Sunday, January 11, 2009

Reflecting.....

I have been wanting to post all week. I have good intentions....but life happens. I have been thinking a lot about that in the new year. We set so many lofty goals and before we can even get them down on paper it happens. Life. Circumstances. Messy stuff. Plain old being "too busy". Praise God that there is no condemnation in Him. I think it is good to reflect and to set goals but don't set yourself up to feeling overwhelmed and condemned. Take baby steps and rejoice in the small victories. If you have no quiet time, start with 5 minutes each day. Nothing more and nothing less. Work into bigger things. Trying to be healthier? Cut one thing from your diet - not everything! I am a goal setter and a goal failer. That used to upset me until I reminded myself His mercies are new EVERY morning. Praise you Jesus! I joined a scripture memory challenge this year. My goal is two scriptures a month. Not unattainable. Not overwhelming. Actually this small goal is fun and at the end of the year I will have joined over 3000 women to memorize 24 scriptures. My first was Philippians 3:12-14. I think I have it down and will soon be searching for what God wants me to memorize the end of this month. So remember set some new, small, attainable goals for this new year. Talking about reflecting, I love to write. I love to look back over things I have written. I thought I would leave you with something I wrote over 2 years ago. It made me chuckle. I was writing to the newspaper in defense of large families. Thought it might make you smile.


So you want to hear from a large family! You asked for it, here goes. My husband and I have seven children ranging in age from 18 years - 18 months. No, we are not Catholic, Amish, Mennonite or crazy for that fact, although we have been asked. We are happy, blessed, full of life, and yes -sometimes loud. We average 20 loads of laundry a week and buy chicken in 50lb boxes. I drive a large 12 passenger van and didn't sleep through the night for what seemed like years. My husband and I start our day out at 6:00 am and if we are lucky the last person has knocked on our bedroom door by 11:00 pm. I home school and am home full time while my husband is off at work selling insurance. Is it tiring you ask? Yes. Is it loud you ask? Yes. Is it chaotic? Most of the time. Would we do it differently? NEVER, absolutely not. They make our world go round. We laugh a lot. Cry sometimes. Fight occasionally. Love each other deeply. There is no greater feeling than seeing your older children love on your little ones. There are many sacrifices on every one's part. I don't think anyone would change it if they could. There are 4 girls and 3 boys. We did not "plan" it. God had greater plans for us. Maybe we are partial but we think big families are the way to go. Hope this helped give you insight into large families. Thanks for asking!


Though reading this made me chuckle I realize how quickly things are already changing. Don't blink - you might miss something!


No comments: