Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Spiritual Lessons from my dear boy CoCo!

Who may ascend the hill of the Lord? Who may stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to an idol or swear by what is false.

Psalms 24:3-4


Ok. This one is for all my co-op ladies who love to hear this story. It is a story that involves my second to last child whom we affectionately call CoCo. I decided I will retell the story and let’s see what lessons we can glean from it.

It all started one day like many other where I was having a not so good day and a not so good attitude. Cayla had softball. Greg was coaching and we were all going along so as not to be stuck in the house any longer with my not so good attitude. We got there and the conversation between Amber and I went something like this:

“Mom, I can see you’re having a bad day. Why don’t you go somewhere for a while I will watch the kids for you” (Another words I am really sick of listening to you complain so please go give us all a break.)

“Oh no Amber I am fine” Teeth clenched.

“No really mom, please go.”

“OK…….I will go shopping for a little while. Somehow new handbags always seem to make things seem better”

One hour later…..New handbag in tow, I return to the softball field to find my dear children all lined up on the bleachers. They look so angelic. They are so cute. I can’t even remember why I would possibly be having a bad day. Conversation with Amber:

“Hey Amber the kids are being so good. Thank you.”

“Ok mom you might want to sit down…Everything was good. We just had one little problem.”

I hesitate….wondering if the handbag was really going to be worth it. I take a deep breath…..”Yes what happened?”

“Well, the boys had to go to the bathroom.”

“There is a port-a-potty so what was the problem?” I asked this with some more hesitation in my voice.

“Abijah went potty and came out. Coco went in after him. Abijah was fussing because he couldn’t wash his hands. I was reassuring him when you got back we would use the hand sanitizer but just as I was telling him that Coco came out and said he found soap and he was rubbing it all over his hands. IT WAS THE URINAL SANITIZER!!!!!!!”

After taking a few deep breaths so as not to pass out I washed the poor boy down with a bottle of hand sanitizer. We scrubbed the poor child for days and for days no one really wanted to hug the dear lad.

So what spiritual lessons can be learned from this port-a-potty mishap you might be asking……

Well for starters, be careful when having a not so good attitude and trying to make it better by shopping. We usually end up spending money we don’t have and we don’t ever address the real problem so it is a fun yet sad to say temporary fix. And you never know what you might come back to…..

Next, Coco thought he was doing a good job of cleaning himself only to find out he was really infesting himself with many, many germs. How often do we reach for the wrong things to feel better about ourselves when to truly cleanse our heart we need to reach out for God’s forgiveness and the cleansing power of Christ’s blood.

And finally remember things are NOT always as they appear. What looked like soap had actually been urinated on by many strangers. Don’t be deceived. Be in God’s word and seek his wisdom so satan cannot deceive you.

Hope you all have a blessed day and never have to learn these lessons the hard way like Coco.

Prayer:

Lord, Thank you for loving us even when we mess up. Give us wisdom and discernment to not be so easily deceived. When we do mess up convict us quickly Holy Spirit so we can have the grace and forgiveness bought by Jesus. We love you Lord and we blees your name.

Amen


No comments: