Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Finding our purpose.....

I have been wanting to write this post for a long time. I wanted to be able to spend more time than usual on it and that hasn't happened so I felt like maybe I should share it just the way it is. I talk a lot about choices and taking our thoughts captive. It is my desire to see every woman live in the freedom that is hers for the taking but not only that I want each woman to find her God given purpose here on earth. Not just to survive but to live an abundant life. On my journey this year for truth God has taken me to this verse in 2 Corinthians over and over again:

The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world. On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds. We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.
2 Corinthians 10:4-5 (NIV)

I kept praying and asking Him exactly what this means and how does it play itself out in our every day lives??? I think the first step is understanding that the weapons we have to fight with are not of this world. They are so much greater than that. We need to know the power we possess and how to use it. We need to know what it looks like to actually use God's word. Our offensive weapon. Using it to take our thought life captive. Satan loves when he controls our thoughts. I feel like in my search God gave me some very real steps that I can take to overcome the things I struggle with. He spoke this acrostic using the word CAPTIVE over me. It has helped me tremendously. I hope it is some help to you.

C - Cease Activity - get alone and get quiet!
A - Apply God's word - you gotta know it to apply it so study it faithfully
P - Persevere past what your feeling and Praise God in the midst of it
T - Talk out loud - God's word is powerful especially when spoken out loud
I - Involve others - don't try to do this alone
V - Voice the victory - praise God for all your victories big and small
E - Evaluate for next time

When we feel under attack or just have a circumstance that we think will do us in we need to get alone, even if it just for a few minutes, so we can collect our thoughts before things get out of control.

Once we are alone we can look at the situation and apply God's word to it. Are you feeling fearful of something? Repeat to yourself "I have not been given a spirit of fear but of power, love and self discipline"(2 Timothy 1:7) or "perfect love drives out fear" (1 John 4:18) Or how about times when you feel like God is not hearing you...Psalms 145:18-19 tells us The Lord is near to all who call on Him....I could go on but I am sure you get the point but you can't call out His promises from His word if you don't know them so it is imperative that you faithfully study it.

Now to what I call the two "P's". They are Persevere and Praise. We need to persevere past what we are feeling. The feelings of victory will come but if they are not immediate you need to keep going. Also, praise God even in the midst of the trial.

When you are applying God's word don't be afraid to use it out loud. There is huge power in His word spoken out loud.

Involve others when you are struggling. The Bible is full of stories and encouragement of people who needed someone to come alongside of them. People who God sends to encourage them. You and I are no different. DON'T struggle through something alone.

And finally when the victory comes and it will come I promise you that don't forget to voice that back to God. Thank Him for His word, His power , and the strength He provided you and after you have voiced this to Him think about the situation. Is there anything you could do differently???? Evaluate for next time because there will be a next time. Life is full of difficulties. What can you do to be victorious even quicker next time until it gets to the place where this is your second nature. When Satan sees that he can't get you on this anymore he will give up. He loses. You win. Victory. Thoughts fully captive and obedient to our Lord Jesus Christ. Commit this week to give this a try. One step at a time. No condemnation if you struggle just keep going. Life will keep going don't let it go on without you. You can do it. We can be victorious here on earth until the ultimate victory comes and we spend eternity in the place He is preparing for us. It is often these trials and struggles that become our defining moments. Often the pain we feel will be the thing that points us to our ultimate purpose here on earth. We do have a purpose beyond survival. Look for it today. He is waiting to reveal it to you. Have a great week in the Lord!

Prayer~

Lord, thank you for your Word. Help us to apply it in EVERY situation. It is as relevant today as it was yesterday. Our offensive weapon. Thank you for this gift.

Amen

No comments: