Wednesday, February 4, 2009

It's tough being a woman in a world where beauty is a treatment....

That was the "tough being a woman" statement this week in my Bible study of Esther. And I of all people can tell you that it rings ever so true. I probably have more insecurities than most. This is where believing truth over the lie comes in once again. Especially as I get older. This summer I had the blessed opportunity to do a missions project in Pittsburgh PA with a group of middle schoolers. I will never forget when one of the boys looked at me and as seriously as a middle school boy can be said, "Mrs. Grove how did you get that scar in the middle of your forehead?" It is not a scar mind you. IT IS A WRINKLE! I laughed. I cried. I wanted Botox.

In a world where we are constantly surrounded by what looks like perfection. More beautiful women than one can imagine just on the magazine covers in line at the grocery store. No wonder we are insecure. It is everywhere we go. Everywhere we look. T.V. Magazines. Billboards. The grocery store for pity sakes. Not like we can avoid that place. Though I would love to try. Do you think my family would understand?

Today in my homework I had to answer a few questions regarding all this "beauty stuff". One thing she asked us to do was to make a list of everything we own that would fall into the categories of cosmetics, beauty treatments, precious ointments, soaps for bathing. This is how the Hebrew term for "beauty treatments" in Esther 2:3is defined. Sorry Beth, this lipstick wearin' momma does not have enough paper in the house for a list that would be ever so embarrassingly long. She also asked, "What might be a reasonable way to handle the pressure for those of us who are neither likely to nor under spiritual conviction to throw away all our cosmetics?" Now that I can answer. I am starting to figure that out. It is knowing where our worth comes from. I can still wear make-up as long as make-up doesn't control me. I am the first to admit I am thankful for my concealer(Thank you Jesus). But God must come first in my life.

Anyway, as I get older and the battle is becoming almost too much for me to fight anymore I(we) need to keep a few scriptures in mind. The voice of Truth. Beth Moore gave us a few yesterday and I have a few of my own that I will leave you with.

The king is enthralled by your beauty; honor him, for he is your Lord.

Psalm 45:11

But the Lord said to Samuel, "Do not consider his appearance or his height, for I have rejected him. The LORD does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart.

1 Samuel 16:7

May the favor of the Lord our God rest upon us; establish the work of our hands for us-yes, establish the work of our hands.

Psalm 90:17

I am my beloved's, and his desire is toward me.

Song of Solomon 7:10 (KJV)

You see beauty treatments or not we belong to the Lord. He searches our heart. We should desire His favor be on us. He is already enthralled with our beauty. Proverbs 31 doesn't say "She rises early and spends hours in her bathroom trying to look younger than she really is". He made us all beautiful. May our heart "outdo" our "hairdo" today. Let's thrive in His beauty today! Be blessed.

Prayer:

Lord, forgive us when we mess up and get our priorities wrong. Help in this battle for beauty. Keep gently reminding us that yoy already think we are beautiful but you want our heart. You want the inside to outdo our hairdo. We love you Lord.

Amen


No comments: