Thursday, April 2, 2009

Fashion Friday

I went to a luncheon the other day for facilitators at Change of Pace Bible study. We went around the table and we were trying to guess each others style. These were the options:

Sophisticated: Your ambitions are high! You dream of driving sports cars, being the company president, or traveling around the world. You enter a room with an air of elegance. You who are sophisticated have a coordinated wardrobe and you usually shop for sales on designer clothes. You have a distinct way of dressing, no matter what the occasion. You cause heads to turn and you're not afraid to try something new.

Romantic: You adore old movies, poetry, and love songs. You remember every anniversary and melt in candlelight and soft music. Anything nostalgic, soft, and dainty appeals to you.

Sporty: You run when you could be walking. You love the outdoor life. You keep your rollerskates at the front door. You relish the thought of waking early and greeting each day with a smile. You like comfortable, versatile, and practical clothing. You probably prefer shorts/pants instead of a dress or skirt, baggy sweats instead of a suit and insist on loose fitting, wash and wear fabrics. You prefer clothes with a flair and movement just like your activities.

Classic: You are highly organized, outgoing, and loyal. You attend all high school reunions and keep in touch with old friends. You're sure to be a classic who prefers tailored clothes and mixes and matches as much as possible. You're interested in getting the maximum wear out of your clothes and go for durable season less styles.

Daring: You are the first to try a new fashion. You find yourself leading instead of following. You love debating just for the sake of debating. Do fast cars, safaris, and deep-sea diving trips sound appealing? You are an individualist who dares to wear unlikely combinations and who look great in most of them. you have a unique style. No one is quite like you.

Now, I was convinced that I was sophisticated trapped in a sporty wardrobe. That is until I realized that when I enter a room I just pray there isn't toilet paper stuck to my shoes and I never, ever wear a skirt for fear of it getting tucked in my panty hose. With that said I was voted daring. I probably fall into the category of the few things that don't look so great but anyway.....I am just so glad that though man looks on the outside appearance God looks at the heart(1 Samuel 16:7). Each woman no matter what her style was created beautifully. A woman of noble character is worth far more than rubies(Proverbs 31:1). The King is enthralled with our beauty(Psalm 45:11). There is nothing wrong with putting some effort into our appearance(this is coming from a lipgloss and mascara wearin' mama - I bought the deep wrinkle cream for pity sakes). Just don't make it your obsession. We can be modest and cute - if we could all just grasp how darling we already are in Christ. So what is your style????? I would love to hear from you. I have been considering doing a giveaway but not sure if anyone is out there....so please leave a comment! Have a blessed weekend!

P.S. For other fashion flunkies out there. I did find out what Pashmina is. Pashmina refers to a type of fine cashmere wool and the textiles made from it. The name comes from Pashmineh, made from Persian pashm ("wool"). The wool comes from changthangi or pashmina goat, which is a special breed of goat indigenous to high altitudes of the Himalayas.

There you go. I should have known right away when it said "fine cashmere wool" that I wouldn't be familiar with it. I did find some cute scarfs though(not Pashmina) on the Internet. I have "window shopping" and thought I would share. I love this site but can't really afford to shop there. I would hate to have to tell Greg we need to remortgage the house or sell on of the small children because of a "scarf problem" I have.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Denise. Nice to meet you. I have not read Big Mama in a month, and -- I can assure you-- I have never linked to a blog in my life. Why I was sent to yours is beyond me. I still struggle with the fact that God sends me to webpages. I can believe He sent me to meet you, but I don't so much see Him with a mouse. Anyway, it was great to read about your family and your devotion to our vocation of motherhood. My Ministry & Motherhood (That's M & M. We think we are brilliant.) group met last night and talked about "being a Supermom." I think you fill the bill. Have a great weekend! Alison

Lazy Mom Leslie said...

I think I am a mix of daring and sophisticated. It would be interesting to see what my friends would think I was though. What a fun luncheon!

Heather Kay said...

I'm w/ Lazy Mom, I would love to know where my friends would put me. I have been all of them but romantic. In my youth I was daring for sure. My working years I was somewhat sophisticated. My little baby years were full of sweats and trying to get my body back.(sporty) Now I guess I fall into classic w/ a little flare of dare.
Great Post!!

Nancy said...

Hey Denise,

So I think I am sophisticated and a whole lot of daring. Although I think it would be so interesting to hear what others think.

Again I just want to thank you for all your words of encouragement. I leave tomorrow to testify for the homicide case. Please be praying. I think I will post before I go, but you never know what is going to come up with all the kiddos. wink. I am feeling good and very nervous about sharing my statement face to face with the defendant. It just sending the shivers down my spine.

Sending much love. You are always such an encouragement.

-Nancy