Sunday, April 5, 2009

Make a Choice Monday

I have been thinking about some things for a while now that I wanted to do with this blog. It all started because I wanted to share about different "choices" I have made and am making in my life and how they have impacted me. I decided I really wanted to share each week some of the things that have made huge differences in my life. Whenever there would be a big change in my life I could always trace it back to a defining moment and a choice I needed to make or did make. Even in the circumstances that I had no control over I still had to decide or choose how I would react. I am going to be sharing these things with you all every Monday.

I thought about calling it "Makeover Monday" or "How to Avoid a Meltdown on Monday" but I settled on "Make a Choice Monday" in keeping with the name of the blog:) My idea is to share something with you each Monday that has impacted my life. Sometimes it will be little things and sometimes it will be bigger. It will involve spiritual, emotional, and physical changes I have made. Things that have to do with who I am and what I do(parenting, marriage, personal struggles, and ministry).

With this said and as I have told you before.....I am not a "super" anything and I am definitely no expert on anything. I just want a place to share some of the choices I have made with the prompting of the Holy Spirit and God's help and grace in my life that have helped me and have made life a little easier. Also, just because it worked for me it may not be what will work for you. That is ok. In no way do I want to make anyone feel bad. That would defeat the whole purpose:) There is no condemnation in Christ Jesus.

My husband always asks me when I am feeling overwhelmed "How do you eat an elephant???? One bite at a time." That is what this is going to be all about. Sharing the bites that have gotten me this far. Not huge lofty goals that are unattainable but little bites that anyone is capable of.

I thought I would start off with something really simple. This week we will concentrate on physical(which actually can be very complicated I know). Those of you who know me probably remember that I lost about 40 pounds two years ago(which by the way took me over a year - there are no quick fixes when it comes to weight loss). We decided we were done having children and I was not happy with what had happened to my body after five pregnancies(still not real happy with what has happened, but short of surgery.....) Anyway, I needed something that could work for me and was not very expensive or hard to figure out. I settled on Weight Watchers. I did it at home. I didn't attend meetings or anything but it was something I could handle. Well, maybe I will share more about that later but the very first choice I made was to give up Dr. Pepper or any drink other than water. I would still have a cup of coffee in the morning because I am not totally insane but I decided I wanted to eat my calories and not just drink them all day long. I started asking myself would I rather have a soda or some chocolate. The answer was pretty simple. So that was my first real diet change. I hated it at first. I tried to drink at least 60-80 ounces of water a day. The first day I wondered if I could drown. The second day I was exhausted because I had to get up and pee all night long(sorry to be so brutally honest here) But it didn't take long and I was doing it and actually loving water. I still drink a good bit of water to this day. When I drink a lot of sugary drinks it starts to upset my stomach. It was one of those small choices that reaped big benefits.

Disclaimer: I was a little hesitant to add physical in here. I have tried to maintain my blog as a encouraging place and I know that there is a lot of sensitivity when it comes to diet and body image. I never did anything crazy during my weight loss. I would never, ever promote anything like that. I was overweight, unhealthy, and unhappy. If you are happy and healthy then you don't even need to read these posts. I still want this to be a place of encouragement. We need to remember where our worth comes from and it has NOTHING to do with our physical appearance. We can not let that become our focus. We can not get so wrapped up in weight loss that we forget about the thing that is far more important. Love the Lord your God with all your heart and love others as yourself(that is the Word according to me but you get the picture).

So what about you???? Anybody out there lost weight and have anything that they want to share? We all have so much to learn from one another. I can't wait to hear from you all. If you have any questions you would like me to address you can e-mail me privately or leave a comment and I will make it a future post - you can do this anonymously. So this weeks "choice" is pretty simple, let's commit to drinking more water. Now that's not so hard, is it??? Can't wait until next "Make a Choice Monday". Have a blessed start to your week and don't get so tied up in drinking water that we forget the "Living Water".

When a Samaritan woman came to draw water, Jesus said to her, "Will you give me a drink?(His disciples had gone into the town to buy food.) The Samaritan woman said to him, "You are a Jew and I am a Samaritan woman. How can you ask me for a drink?" (For Jews do not associate with Samaritans. ) Jesus answered her, "If you knew the gift of God and who it is that asks you for a drink, you would have asked him and he would have given you living water." "Sir," the woman said, "you have nothing to draw with and the well is deep. Where can you get this living water? Are you greater than our father Jacob, who gave us the well and drank from it himself, as did also his sons and his flocks and herds?" Jesus answered, "Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again,but whoever drinks the water I give him will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life."

John 4:7-14

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

interesting choice. sometimes the littles changes can make the biggest differences.

Heather Kay said...

I love this idea! I do drink a lot of water. I struggle with a Diet Dr. Pepper love. I will give it up for awhile and then I'm back at it. Currently I have one can a day during the afternoon slump.
Have a great Monday!

Heather Kay said...

I wrote the above comment real quick between doing catch-up this morning. I wanted to come back and say congratulations on your weight loss. It is awesome that you have maintained it for so long. I am on the journey with 30 lost and 15 to go. I am going on a short trip w/ my hubby in 6 weeks and I hope to loose 10 of it by then.
Blessings!