Monday, April 13, 2009

Make a Choice Monday

*Just a reminder if you haven't read yesterday's post and left a comment to have a chance to win Beth Moore's book "Get Out of That Pit" there is still time!

Well you guessed it! It is Monday again. Can you believe it. Where does the time go???? Hope you all had a wonderful weekend with your families.

Today's choice I want to share with you is not difficult to do but does take some discipline. But then again what doesn't? Drinking water takes discipline too:) Anyway, today we are concentrating on spiritual. Colossians 3:16 says "Let the Word of Christ dwell in you richly..." I have always struggled with scripture memorization. I always feared that if I ended up somewhere without my Bible that I would have to spend my time repeating John 3:16 over and over. I also always used the excuse that I didn't have the time or the brain cells left for this task.

As you all know I have joined the Beth Moore scripture memory challenge she started this past January. I have now committed 6 passages to memory. A total of 12 verses and I am working on number 13 right now.

It has been amazing how spending just a few minutes a day I have been able to commit these to memory. Everyday we face many challenges and battles. Many of them we feel unprepared for but when we have Christ Words dwelling in us there is much power.

I challenge you to start memorizing some scriptures. It doesn't need to be entire books at one time. Just small portions. I am only memorizing 2 a month but at the end of the year that will be 24 passages that I didn't know before. How exciting.

I just pray about what I need to memorize and usually based on something going on in my life God brings me to the exact thing I need. I then add them to a card in a spiral bound pack of index cards like this one:




I even decorated mine with some ribbons and scrapbooking paper and stamped the front:



You don't need to do this I just thought it was a fun project. Anyway, I do my best to look over them each day. It is really that simple. Besides I read that memorizing things does amazing things for our brilliance. It was on Beth Moore's blog a while back. She said, "Did you know that memorization is one of the best ways on earth to keep our brains sharp? Yep. And I also heard a few days ago that all the multi-tasking we're doing does not work the part of our brain that requires stimulation to tap into our brilliance. (Every single one of us has brilliance.) That part of our brain requires tremendous focus on one thing for extended periods of time, pushing our thoughts a solitary direction that stretches and works it beyond its normal exercise. That's part of what Scripture memory does!"

You can't beat that can you??? Well that is my tip this week. Hope you have a wonderful start to your week!

2 comments:

Heather Kay said...

I couldn't agree with you more. I love what you did to your notebook. I totally think you could sell those!

P.S. I have the Beth Moore book. A dear friend gave it to me a while back. I have browsed it, but need to read it still.

Let'sMakeADifference said...

what a great idea! It's so pretty it makes you want to memorize! I think I'll make one for each of my youngest 4!