Monday, April 20, 2009

Make a Choice Monday

Sorry for the delay in posting today. My daughters did the first half of their achievement testing today and then I had a wonderful lunch with a lady that is becoming a very dear friend to me. I met her this year at our community Bible study. She has adopted also and so we are becoming fast friends with so much in common.

Anyway, it’s Monday again. It really is unbelievable how quickly time goes by. I can hardly believe that it’s already been a week since our last small “choice”. So how’s it going???? Are you drinking more water? How about memorizing scripture? Just small changes that can affect our physical and spiritual life in a big way.

Today we are going to focus our choice on our emotional well being. I find there are so many things in life that cause stress that I have no control over that it is very important to organize those things I do have control over. I am not a very organized person by nature and if I can do it you can to.

I am often asked with 7 children how I get everything done. I am no superwoman. I do mess up but by trial and error I have found some things that have really helped. Small choice number one today is have a master calendar and small choice number two is to make a menu ahead of time. Maybe to some of you this is a no brainer but for someone like me it took a lot of chaos, disorganization, and panic at 4:30 wondering what I was making for dinner before I became disciplined in this area. We have a master calendar and EVERYTHING goes on it(pictured below). There is never a question about who is doing what and when. I do occasionally have something overlap or get forgotten but not near as much as I used to. I have learned to say "let me check the calendar" before committing to anything. When it is all written in one place it is also a good measuring tool as to whether you are doing to much. We can't do a thousand things to the glory of God. You throw some hormones into a disorganized schedule and we can fall apart(I know because I got some hormones and I have doen some falling apart). That is why this organization is vital to our emotional well being.



I have also learned to write out a weekly menu. I do fall off the menu wagon and when I do I feel it. I have been off for a few weeks now and supper time has been a stress so I know I need to get back to it. When it is written out it is one less thing to think about during the day and it also helps keep the grocery bill more manageable.

Well ladies that is my advice for today. It will cut down on your stress level in your home and help you tremendously and like I said this whole idea goes against who I am by nature but I think we need to be willing to be teachable in all areas to benefit our children. It also helps them when they see us do things that are more difficult and don't come so naturally. Hope this helps and hope your day is blessed. Remember to put some time everyday on the master schedule to be with the Master. If you do that everything else will fall into place!

No comments: