Thursday, April 9, 2009

Nothing can really be hidden....

Then I acknowledged my sin to you and did not cover up my iniquity. I said, "I will confess my transgressions to the Lord"-- and you forgave the guilt of my sin. Therefore let everyone who is godly pray to you while you may be found; surely when the mighty waters rise, they will not reach him. You are my hiding place; you will protect me from trouble and surround me with songs of deliverance.

Psalm 32:5-7

I remember the day clearly. It was a Tuesday. Tuesday is trash day at my house. It is also poop scooping day and I am the official poop scooper. I got this title by default really. Everyone wanted the dogs. Everyone was going to help take care of the dogs. It sounds great, in theory. The realty is I don't even know if anyone else even knows where the scooper is.

Anyway, I looked out and it had snowed. It was beautiful. Glistening in the sunlight. And guess what....I couldn't even see any of the poop. It was all covered up. I did a little dance and went back into the house. A woman can't possibly scoop poop that she can't even see, now can she????

The next Tuesday came. The snow had all melted. The yard a muddy mess. And can you guess what the melting snow revealed??? More poop than you can imagine. Two dogs. Two weeks worth of poop and one unhappy "by default" pooper scooper. More than anyone person should ever encounter. As I went about my job grumbling and complaining I suddenly felt as if I heard God say "Yep(do you think God would say yep???)anyway....Yep, girlfriend that's how it is with your life. You try and cover up the ugly things with beautiful distractions. You work on your appearance. Your ministry. Your home. All I want to do is work on your heart."

Whoa! Wait a second. Do I really do that? Do I try to hide the parts I don't want anyone to see, not even God???? And in the end do I end up with a whole lot of ugly revealed after all is stripped away? Yep. That was the only answer. Because inevitably life happens and all does get stripped away. We are spiritually empty and exhausted with all the cover up and we snap and just like the melting snow it is all there. It didn't go anywhere in our quest to cover it up.

You see, He longs to be our deliverer. Any hiding we want to do needs to be in Him as our secure place after all is confessed. I know I often feel I like I am in a spiritual slump. When that happens I need to ask myself have I any unconfessed sin in my life that I am trying to hide??? I am not saying that this is the cause of all slumps but I think it is a big one. All the busyness of life and all the distractions provide for a blanket of glistening snow in our lives.

How about you???? Anything distracting you today from allowing God to work on your heart? I know it's tough but as David said in the Psalm above let us pray to Him while he can be found. When the waters rise (and they will) they won't reach us. He will give us songs of deliverance. Amen and Hallelujah! Have a blessed day!

Lord~

Thank you that even when we try and hide or cover up you see us and you gently draw us to you. I pray that you would be my hiding place. Help me to confess my sin quickly. Deliver me from the pride that inhibits me from doing that. We love you Lord.

Amen

2 comments:

Wendy said...

Denise, this was very insightful and funny b/c I just returned inside from doing what? Poop-scooping :D My two young girls were pointing them out for me...isn't that like life too, sometimes people need to point that ugly stuff out to us. :D I'm enjoying reading your blog.

~ Wendy

Heather Kay said...

I love to have visual reminders so this post was right up my alley! Now every time I look out the back window I will have a new reminder to give myself a once-over. It is my job to scoop also. I'm afraid it's more of a only when we mow thing for me. I guess I'm lazy.