Friday, May 8, 2009

Fashion Friday



I know it is not a very good picture(I really need to invest in a better camera) but yes that is Beth Moore at the National Day of Prayer celebration at Long's Park. The worship was awesome and her message incredible. I couldn't start my Fashion Friday post with out sharing this first. She really is a fashion icon to me anyway. You can't see it in this picture but her outfit was awesome as usual but her heart for God and teaching others is what draws people to her. Anyway.....

I have to be quick today. It is the Homeschool Curriculum Fair. Carla and I go every year and we take Greg along to carry our books. He also makes a mean breakfast before we leave and packs us a nice lunch. It has become a tradition and it is one I look forward to every year.

A couple of awesome fashion “deals” were posted this week over at Bargains by the Bagfull. Check out this post and this post. I love it.

I also fell in love with this bag at Sam Moon. I had never heard of Sam Moon before last week. Someone introduced me to it and Sam and I are becoming fast friends. They have cute stuff at good prices.

And finally, Charla Krupp…..I think she may be my arch nemesis (I’m not actually sure what that means). I really don’t like her ideas on making yourself first and so on but I can’t seem to resist reading her tips. I shared with you from an article last week that was in the newspaper. She appeared again on the MSN home page and I couldn’t resist reading. Kinda like a train wreck and I can’t look away. I have enough trouble keeping my focus where it should be and keeping my mind on track but I read it anyway. This article was titled “18 Ways to Not Look Old in a Recession – Makeup, Skin Care, & Hair”. Not sure if she means if we weren’t in a recession these tricks wouldn’t work???? These were a few of my favorites:

1. Don’t wear glasses on a chain around your neck;)
2. Trim some bangs!
3. Brighten your teeth.
4. Smooth out your middle with shapewear.
5. Dress up.
6. Buy fewer and buy better clothes.

I wonder if she understands what a recession is. Besides the glasses thing and trimming your bangs everything else can be expensive. I guess my list would go more like this:

1. Don’t wear glasses on a chain around your neck(I will agree with her here), but try not to lose them if you don’t.

2. Ok bangs are cheaper than Botox.

3. Buy whitening toothpaste but only with a coupon and only when K-mart doubles $2 coupons – I got my toothpaste this week for 49 cents.

4. Sit ups and a daily reminder that “beauty is fleeting but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised” – Proverbs 31:30

5. Get up and get dressed.

6. Buy fewer and buy cheaper clothes – only on sale. Check this deal out at Old Navy! These long sleeve tee’s for next year. I am always cold so I wear a long sleeve tee under sweatshirts and sweaters all the time! And check out this shirt I got this week at Walmart. I wore it last night(mine is pink and brown - I couldn't find that print online but you get the idea) with jeans and a white sweater. I think Beth would have been proud.

Poor Charla I really shouldn’t be so hard on her. The reality of it is I am probably very much like her. I have spent way too much time, money, and thoughts on my appearance over the years. It is still a struggle. I am learning to look in the mirror and find positive things and for the rest I am adopting a saying that my dear husband has said often – It just is what it is!

Hope your day is blessed! Remember the cheapest most effective change you can have to your appearance is a love for the Lord and a love for others. I will leave you with one of my favorite verses. Seek wisdom (God’s Word) and you will have a face lift!

Who is like the wise man? Who knows the explanation of things? Wisdom brightens a man’s face and changes its hard appearance.
~Ecclesiastes 8:1

No comments: