Monday, May 4, 2009

Make a Choice Monday

Divorcing Wife Says $43M Not Enough...A Swedish countess who's divorcing an American former CEO says she cannot live on $43 million. Marie Douglas-David, a former investment banker, says she has no income and needs her husband, George David, 67, to pay her more than $53,000 a week to cover her expenses.

Are you kidding me???? Poor George! I could hardly believe what I was reading when I saw this in the USA Today. Bless her heart. Talk about some contentment issues. I shared this with the ladies this past Saturday at our Mother/Daughter brunch. My talk was titled "Grow Where You Are Planted....Be Rooted In Truth". I thought this was a very humorous example of not being content. We read things like this and we laugh but if we thought really hard about it how different are we from Marie????? I know there are many days that my heart is not a whole lot different. I have a beautiful big OLD blue house and there are many days I wish I had a newer one. There are days I wish my car looked different. I would entertain more if only___________..... There are days I wish I had better landscaping for my outside. These are the thoughts I have and then I start to think about the landscaping of my heart.

I also have days where I completely content with the "material"things in my life but I am discontent with relationships or issues I am having with handing control over to God. Then I become discontent in my emotions and I think that can be even more dangerous than being discontent with my material things.

Paul says in Philippians:

I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.

Philippians 4:11-12

I love that he says he has "learned". It wasn't something that happened immediately when he became a believer. It was a process. It was probably a lot of small choices along the way. Today let's choose to be content no matter what the circumstance. Fully trusting in God to handle the details. Once again, just like forgiveness, it is not going to be easy but it can be done.

And by the way - Friday was May 1st and that means another verse for me to memorize. This time I chose:

You turned my wailing into dancing; you removed my sackcloth and clothed me with joy, that my heart may sing to you and not be silent. O LORD my God, I will give you thanks forever.

Psalm 30:11-12 NIV

Hope you have a blessed Monday!

2 comments:

Heather Kay said...

My 9 yr old learned the difference between want and need and around here we are constantly reminded by him that we do not "need" that new, latest gadget, makeup, clothing, candy bar, etc. Contentment is such a more joyful choice/life!
Thanks!

Nancy said...

This is the truth. Going through our current trial I would have never thought we could live on this much money. I would have laughed months ago if you would tell me I would live on this amount and for this period of time. It is amazing what God can show us in life if we only trust in him.

Thanks for this post. Today I am feeling discontent with the weather... could the rain stop for 5 minutes while I run in the store?