Monday, May 11, 2009

Make a Choice Monday

Make a Choice Monday again…..I have been thinking about this for a few days wondering what I should post about this week. As I was thinking about it I started looking around and I was surrounded by books. I love books. I love the sound of pages turning (especially pages of the Bible when I’m in Bible study) and I love the smell of a new book and the sound the spine makes when you crack it open for the first time. I am most definitely a book lover. I am often reading at least 3 or 4 at one time. Right now I am reading:

Lies Young Women Believe by Nancy Leigh DeMoss and Dannah Gresh – I am preparing for a summer study with Cayla and some of her friends

Homeschool Supermom….Not! by Susan Kemmerer

What To Do on the Worst Day of Your Life by Brian Zahnd

Work in Progress – An Unfinished Woman’s Guide to Grace by Kristin Armstrong

As I am reading those four books I have two more I just got this weekend at the curriculum fair just waiting to be cracked open:

Girl Talk, Mother-Daughter Conversations on Biblical Womanhood by Carolyn Mahaney and Nicole Mahaney Whitacre and also Beauty Secrets – Tips for Teens from the Ultimate Makeover Artist by Dr. Deborah Newman and Rachel Newman. I love that both these books were written by mother/daughter teams. Oh how I would love to write alongside my daughter

Anyway, all this to say today choose to make a little time to do what you love. I have committed to read something and write something every day. People often ask me how I do this. It is what I love. I don’t watch much t.v. except for Biggest Loser of course. I think if we are honest with ourselves we do find time to do things we enjoy. I loved this post by a dear friend of mine on “snatching time”. It is awesome advice. You will be better for it. I encourage you to do things that will grow you and build you up. It is never too late to learn something new. We have been given a brilliant mind and we need to choose to use it. I always feel like I need to put in a disclaimer when talking about something like this….I am not in any way telling you to put you and your “needs” before your family. I hope you know that. I just feel like we as women we can be very multi-faceted and it is ok to take a little time and pursue things you love. Do it with your family. I often read when my kids are reading and as I am typing this Abijah is on my lap and I am reaching around him. I heard that children who see their parents read will be much more apt to be readers. Now, Greg and I are both readers but not all our kids love it. With that said I still think it is good for them to see us reading. I hope you like my “choice” today. Maybe if I have some time this week I will review some of the books I am reading and ones I have read to see if they interest you.

Have a blessed day! Shine in His glory!!!!!

1 comment:

Let'sMakeADifference said...

I am going to copy your idea of a book study with my daughters and their friends this summer!! Why didn't I think of that???? I think I'll use the book 'Let God Write Your Love Story' or maybe 'Men are like Waffles and Women are like Spaghetti'. I own both of them but haven't read them yet. I also am going to copy 'Like a Warm Cup of Coffee's blogspot's idea to have 6 goals a day that I REALLY want to accomplish. I have done it for a little over a week and found it to be challenging but freeing and fun! Thanks for mentioning my blog!