Tuesday, May 26, 2009

You can take the girl out of the country....

I feel like I have gotten a little blog lazy. Not sure if it was the time away or what but anyway.....I have been thinking about posting about my weekend and some thoughts I have been having. I have been teaching in my Sunday school class about faith. I put together a "faith map" and I am continually amazed how God makes ALL things work together for good. I was using the verse in Acts to show that we were all placed in the exact place and the exact generation that He wanted us that we would seek Him.

From one man he made every nation of men, that they should inhabit the whole earth; and he determined the times set for them and the exact places where they should live.
God did this so that men would seek him and perhaps reach out for him and find him, though he is not far from each one of us.

Acts 17:26-27


I remember growing up thinking that I surely did not belong where I was. I grew up in the country and though we were well off we were I guess what I would now affectionately call "rednecks". We were ground hog huntin'(anything huntin' would be more accurate), deer spottin', beer drinkin', pig roast havin', four wheeler ridin', Clint Eastwood watchin', Conway Twitty and Kenny Rogers listen' people. I paged through Vogue magazine dreaming of the day I would escape this lifestyle. Always trying to be more "refined" than I actually was. Now here I am many years later a country girl at heart. I guess the saying holds true that you can take the girl out of the country but you can't take the country out of the girl. I still love riding four wheeler and the smell of dirt when I am in the woods. I am a huge country music fan and can belt a song with Reba McEntire like nobodies business. I am more at home on a four wheeler than I would be anywhere else and if God hadn't called me not to drink I would probably have a cold beer on a Friday night(always feel the need for a disclaimer....I don't personally think there is anything wrong with having an alcoholic beverage every once in awhile. I just feel like I am being asked to obstain for this time in my life. I didn't want to sound like I am better than anyone because of this conviction).

I guess this is all to say God knows my heart. He knew what would bring me joy. He knew it wasn't living in some high class place and never knowing the feeling of shooting a rifle for the first time or the wind in my hair as I ride on a trail on a four wheeler. He placed me in the exact place and in the exact time that I would seek Him and serve His purpose for me. A country girl. Nothing more. Nothing less. Finally perfectly content. So this weekend as we spent the weekend doing every "redneck" thing imaginable I was happy.

How about you????? Are you questioning His sovereignty? Do you wonder if you are in the right place? Wonder no more. His ways are perfect. They are far above our ways. He has a purpose for us right where we are at. I got in more trouble trying to be something I wasn't instead of embracing who I was. I am so thankful for His patience and His grace.

Lord~

Thank you for knowing me even better than I know myself. For knowing the perfect place and the perfect time for me and for giving me a purpose. Help me to have a heart that is content and to live in the moment and to stop looking for something different. I love you Lord.

Amen


Me on a dirt bike!


Greg on the four wheeler we love to ride on together!


No comments: