Monday, June 1, 2009

Make a Choice Monday

I can't believe it is Monday again. I am so thankful for the beautiful weekend we had. I can't start this post without first wishing my little guy Coco a Happy Birthday! Seven already. I think it was just yesterday he was a little baby. Don't blink!



Now to our "choice" this beautiful Monday.....I started this "series" by talking about drinking more water. I had also shared how I had lost 40 pounds over the last few years. Not only was the water beneficial but so was learning portion control which can also be called self-control. Weight Watchers was very helpful in teaching me that I was eating way too much. I was having dinner at my grandmothers recently and I noticed how much smaller her plates are than ours. This picture below isn't the greatest. I don't think it shows the contrast very well but I think you will get the picture. There is quite a difference in size.



I started thinking about this and how much more food I can load on my plate than on hers. I later read an article about a man who bought an old house and his plates did not fit in the cabinets because they were made for the smaller plates of long ago. By buying plates to fit his cabinet and eating off those he significantly cut his calories and lost quite a bit of weight. So what's my point here??? We need to be self-controlled in how much we eat not just what we eat. My kids will often ask me if this thing or that thing is "bad" and my response to them is always the same, "anything can be bad for you if you eat too much of it, drink too much of it, spend too much time doing it, etc...". Just listen to this passage in 1 Corinthians 10:31.

"So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God."

If you look at the context it was talking about the freedom a believer has to eat whatever he is offered. Prior to that in verse 23 it says everything is permissible but not everything is beneficial. I think in our "diet" mentality we spend too much time worrying about eating the right thing and depriving our self that we miss the boat. We just need to show some control in what we eat.

Here is a prime example. I love Starbucks and anyone who knows me knows I love it. I don't live real close to one so when I am in the vicinity I will stop and get one. Now if there was one in E-town I would need to show some self-control and only have it occasionally. A Starbucks every once in a while will not make me gain my weight back or go broke but everyday it might.

So today's small "choice" is to cut back on our "super-sized" portions. When you get your plate tonight think about my grandma's plates. We are going to Hoss's for a fundraiser so I will have ample opportunity to practice what I preach.

I need to go now I am headed to Barnes and Noble. Can you believe that is where Coco asked me to take him for his birthday???? I could only dream it is because he wants a good book but I think it has something more to do with the activity kits they sell:) I will probably get a Starbucks but I will stick to a "tall" and not a "vente". Have a blessed day!

2 comments:

cherise said...

If you'd like to cut back the size of Starbuck's drinks even more, they also offer a "short". I usually get that size when I need to cut back. Still satisfies the craving without all the calories.

Heather Kay said...

I like the plate tip. After being on "vacation" with my dad for two weeks it is time for me to get my appetite back under control! Happy B'day to your little guy!