Monday, July 27, 2009

Make a Choice Monday

What a beautiful Monday morning! The sun is shining. My life is returning to normal, well sort of....What is normal anyway???? I think it is overrated:) I am feeling a little tired. Becoming a new "mimi" isn't easy. I had to stop over yesterday just to give the little guy a kiss. Alicia thought about coming to church and in between services I found Greg pacing in the lobby. He is handling this "pop-pop" thing so well. I am excited to be back at posting. I have a lot lined up this week. Hopefully life will remain calm and I will accomplish it all. I leave for She Speaks on Friday morning and I couldn't be more excited although I am feeling a bit under attack. Starting to doubt my ability to do this thing. I have been wanting to tell you about Pittsburgh all last week so I thought I would incorporate it into "Make a Choice Monday".

Today's choice is all about learning to serve and doing it alongside our children. Cayla and I have gone to Pittsburgh two years in a row and it has been such a blessing. Not only do we work with one another but we have some one on one time we would not usually have and each night she sat in my bunk with me and we had some really cool talks. The Pittsburgh Project exists to help vulnerable homeowners in need of serious home repair. They bring in groups to do the work on the homes so that the elderly and disadvantaged people of Pittsburgh can keep their homes and their dignity. We worked all day and then we would have a time of worship and fun at night. On Wednesday night our homeowners would come to dinner with us and we would have a chance to get to know them better. We painted an enormous chain link fence that was all rusted and covered with vines. We also did some yard clean up. Our homeowners, the Parsons, were an elderly couple. She was 71 and he was 80. They lived in an enormous old home that sat up on a hill with a beautiful view of the city.

Here are some pictures of our week....

Our "homeowners" - The Parsons


Their house on a hill!


Vines needing removed before we paint!


Painting!


Taking a break.



Our Group!



Me and My girl!


It was an awesome week. So today let's choose to serve others around us. You don't need to leave the country or even the state. You can look for things to do right in your community. We have served meals at Water Street and Bethesda Mission. We also sponsor a child through Compassion and do Christmas Child boxes as a family each year. I am hoping to teach my children that its not all about them and that we need to be God's hands and feet. I will leave you with some verses that Cayla and I meditated on while we were away and also a You Tube Video about the Pittsburgh Project. Have a blessed day!

Matthew 5:13-15
13 "You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled by men. 14 "You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. 15 Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. 16 In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven.

2 comments:

Smith7 said...

Jordon and I leave next Saturday for a week in Mexico. Looking forward to him and I spending a week together serving God in that way. Should be life-changing.
Thanks for the post...

Runner Mom said...

Hey, Denise! I love this post!! IT's very similar to the Salkehatchie project that the Methodist church sponsors in South Carolina. My son went for his 3rd year in June--he loves it!!

And, congrats on becoming a gorgeous granny!! That baby is adorable!!

Can't wait to meet you Friday at She Speaks! I'll be looking for you, chickadee!

Hugs!
Susan