Thursday, August 6, 2009

A good book is like....

I have been reading a lot lately. I truly believe that we should always be engaging our minds and learning. I have no desire to go back to school but I love learning. The problem is sometimes I neglect "The Book". I need to be a student of His word first and foremost. That is what I am working on right now. I have been thinking a lot about my self-discipline. As much as I don't even like to say the words I know that being disciplined in all areas of my life actually makes things much easier in the long run. So when I have spent time in His book this is what I have been reading lately....

Communicating For A Change by Andy Stanley and I Am Not But I Know I Am by Louie Giglio. These two books are like the bag of M&M's I just can't stay away from until I finish every last bite. I got them both this weekend and can't put them down. I will have them both finished by this weekend. I have carried them in the car with me and as I am going about my housework stopping every once in a while just to read a bit.

No Other Gods by Kelly Minter, The Reason We Speak by Marybeth Whalen, and Homeschool Supermom Not by Susan Kemmerer are all beside my bed and I am savoring them like a good piece of dark chocolate or a Peppermint Mocha from Starbucks. I read a little and let the words sink in and then in a few days I read some more.

Now what do I have just waiting to be cracked open???? You know the ones that sit on my shelf and I will crack open someday and I will either devour it or savor it or possibly even just barely get it down because I hate to start something and not finish it and I know that if I press on I learn something beneficial......My read someday soon list looks something like this:

Fiction:

Daisy Chain by Mary DeMuth
Eye of the God by Ariel Allison
The Shape of Mercy by Susan Meissner
The Most Important Little Boy in the World by Dean Briggs

Non-Fiction:

Beauty Secrets by Dr. Deborah Newmand and Rachel Newman
Girl Talk by Carolyn Mahaney and Nicole Mahaney Whitacre
Purse Driven Life by Anita Renfroe
Crazy Love by Francis Chan
What Happens When Women Say Yes To God by Lysa Terkeurst
The Air I Breathe by Louie Giglio
For the Write Reason by Marybeth Whalen
If Clothes Could Talk by Shari Braendel

So what about you???? What have you been reading or doing lately that stretches your mind?? I would love to hear about it. We are off to the mountains to see my parents today. I will share more tomorrow. Have a blessed day

2 comments:

Julie Gillies said...

Hi there Denise!

I'm SO GLAD you stopped by my blog, you beautiful woman, you!

LOVED your story about speaking a few posts down. I'm so grateful that God enabled you to speak exactly what you needed to speak...all in 5 minutes! LOL

I'm so glad we met, even if it WAS at the airport heading home. Your blog is beautiful and I look forward to visiting you often. :)

Runner Mom said...

Hey, Denise!! What a great weekend!! I am so blessed to have met you and spent a little time with you-not enough though!

This was a great post!! I want to read that Andy Stanley book as well!!

I just finsihed Hidden Joy by Wendy Blight, and it was amazing!! God opened my eyes to some truths that I needed to see.

Y'all have a wonderful time visting! Talk to you soon!

Hugs!
Susan