Monday, August 31, 2009

Make a Choice Monday

"I can't do it!"

Those were the words I spoke to my husband as we were nearing the finish line of our 5k on Saturday. I wanted to do it under 30 minutes. There was a man in front of us and Greg said if I push past him I could do it. I told Greg I couldn't do it and he needs to just go ahead of me. He wouldn't. He ran the whole time with me encouraging me the whole way. He is a runner. I am not. He could have had a much better time. I felt like I was holding him back. The thing is he wanted to be there for me. He didn't want to go ahead.

I thought a lot about that when we got home. That's how it is with God. He wants to walk right beside us and encourage us but so often our pride gets in the way and we push Him away.

Today let's choose to yield to God's plans. It might be tough, especially at the end, but He will be right beside us the whole time. We often allow our pride to get in the way and try to do it on our own. We don't need to. The race we run we don't need to run alone.

Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. ~ 1 Corinthians 9:24

We are all running the race. Let's choose to run it with God right beside us. Then we get the prize. We get the things He promises us.

No, I didn't win on Saturday(not even close). I didn't even make it under 30 minutes - maybe next time. I finished it in 30 minutes and 30 seconds but I didn't give up and I had my encouragement right beside me the whole time!

Have a blessed day!

3 comments:

Runner Mom said...

I am so proud of yo for finishing the race!! You go, girl!

Love the analogy, and the scripture is one of my favs!

Hugs,
Susan

Lynn Cowell said...

Denise,
Your post and my post from Wednesday are so much alike. I guess He is doing a similiar work. You will reap if you faint not!
Blessings, Lynn

Anonymous said...

Wow, that man of yours is awesome