Monday, September 28, 2009

Make A Choice Monday

As I sit here and type this I realize it is already 7pm on Monday night. I guess I should just be happy I'm not trying to post it at 11:59 pm. Life here has been a bit crazy. I had my grandson 3 days last week and I will have him 3 days this week. It has been a big adjustment. I had forgotten what it was like to have a baby around and homeschool. Needless to say I was exhausted this weekend and woke up today to a pile of laundry and housework. At one point I looked around and thought we would probably bring Mr. Clean to tears. Thankfully I was able to get school finished and get the house back under control although this is the first times I sat down all day.

My dear brothers, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, for man's anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires.
~James 1:19-20


Today I want to talk about our tongues and how our speech affects our kids. I unfortunately had to live this one out this weekend and the pain is still fresh in my mind. From the time I became a mom I swore I would always be quick to admit to my kids when I was wrong and would be quick to ask their forgiveness. I have done this a million times over in the last 18 years. Sometimes it was just a small offense but sometimes they were big.

This weekend we went to the Ephrata Fair. I was trying to get my daughter Cayla on her cell phone. She didn't answer. Little did I know she was trying to answer but her phone was broken. I ended up calling her friends phone and the voice on the other end sounded just like Cayla. I thought it was Cayla. It was NOT Cayla. Needless to say I yelled at this poor unsuspecting girl on the other end only to find out it wasn't Cayla. I was mortified and humiliated. I had just yelled at someone elses child. I was so embarrassed. I apologized a million times over but that wasn't the hard part. The hard part was when I got home and started thinking about what I said and how harsh it was and the fact that I didn't take the time to find out why my daughter wasn't answering her phone.

I thought about the fact that I was more upset that it was someone else's child than the fact that I yelled and I wondered had that been Cayla on the other end would I have even bothered to apologize. I was heart broken. I never want to hurt my kids but I am sure that is exactly what I end up doing often. Way too often. I cried a lot of tears on Saturday night and spent a lot of time thinking about the way I had been responding to my kids lately.

Today I want to choose to ask for their forgiveness when I am wrong but even more importantly to learn to hold my tongue and be quick to listen and slow to speak. I want that to be my new motto. Will you pray for me? I know this will be hard but I figure if God can close the mouth of lions He surely can shut me up.

Cayla and her friend were very gracious and forgiving and her friend's mom was also kind when I told her what happened. I just hope next time I think twice before opening my mouth.

Have a blessed night!

2 comments:

MoodyMama (a.k.a. Heidi) said...

I need to do that with my husband as well. Thanks for the reminder!

Runner Mom said...

Bless your heart! I'll be praying for us both!!

Hugs,
Susan