Saturday, October 10, 2009

Permission To Let Go

If you found me through the Internet Cafe Devotions I just want to say welcome. Grab a cup of coffee and sit back and enjoy. If you read my blog regularly I am a guest today over at the Cafe, just click on the "I saved you a seat" button on the right to read "Letting Go".

I wrote that devotion a while ago but the funny thing is as I type this tears are still filling my eyes and threatening to spill over onto my key board. Some things we struggle with our whole existence and letting go is one of those things for me. I often feel like I need someone to give me permission to let go because I am so afraid. So today I am giving you permission and I hope I listen to my own advice:)

I have a "letting go" list. I thought I would share some of it with you so you know you are not alone:

1. I am letting go of some dreams I had for loved ones in my life. I just need to trust He loves them more than I do. Carrying the burden of what should be was never meant to be ours to carry.

2. I am letting go of trying to be the Holy Spirit in others life. There are some things that simply only He can do and I waste a lot of time and energy trying to do something when I should be praying.

3. I am letting go of the false image that I have been bombarded with regarding how a woman should look and should age. I am hoping to just grow old gracefully doing what I can and letting go of the rest.

4. I am letting go of some bitterness and anger right now over a certain situation. Letting go doesn't make the situation ok but it makes me ok!

5. I am letting go of the expectations I have put on the people and the circumstances in my life. I don't know what today will bring.

Sometimes we have to let go of what we are clinging to so tightly to be able to grab hold of God and the plan he has for us. Ephesians 3:20 tells us He is able to do more than we can ask or imagine.

As hard as this all is I know there is great blessing when I turn it over to God. That thing I wrote about in my previous devotion was my position as leader at women's ministry at my church. I hated to let go even though I heard God asking me to. The amazing thing is now it is a few months later and He has given me many opportunities to speak and also to serve Him in other ways. Ways that were far more than I could ask or imagine.

We are limiting ourselves by holding on. We are also tiring ourselves out. I know I often feel more tired than a woman my age should feel and then I go to His precious Word and I read Matthew 11:28:

Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.

So not only will He give us more than we can ask for but He will carry our burdens for us! Hallelujah!

I pray you have a blessed weekend and although the letting go process is a difficult one I pray you trust in the One who desires to bless you and give you rest. He gives you permission to let go. He is waiting.......

9 comments:

Cathy Runkle said...

Thanks for the words of inspiration...I am so proud of you and love you very much!

Anonymous said...

It feels like you are looking right in my heart this very minute! Thanks for the reminder to let god lead us to the purpose he has for us and to let go of the ones he has given to others. I miss you and will love you always, JoEllyn

Julie Gillies said...

Hi Denise,

I hear your heart loud and clear in this powerful post.

I love these words: "Letting go doesn't make the situation ok but it makes me ok!" -- SO true. Well said, my friend.

3 Blessings said...

I found you from the Internet Cafe. I loved your devotion.
Blessings,
Amy

Faith Imagined said...

I can really relate to your 'letting go' list. Congratulations on your devo at Internet Cafe!

BizzieLizzie said...

I loved your devotion on "Letting Go" this morning! Thanks so much for sharing your heart with us. I grew up amongst 7 other siblings and do not know how my mother did it. The Grace of God amazes me daily! I know the time is coming when I'll have to let my little one go and move on - it's not going to be easy and not looking forward to it! It's great to see you so real about - letting go! Blessings your way, Charlotte

Anonymous said...

I needed this devotion tonight.Thank you so much.I stumbled on it at internet cafe so glad I did.I went right over to your blog and started reading so much of what you write speaks to me.your devotion about letting go wish I could have learned that lesson many years ago.Sometimes for some reason God has to tell me in certain circumstances it's ok to let go now.Like me lugging childhood abuse around for many years.Finally one day God wispered it's ok you can let go now.God Bless You!!!

amy said...

LOVED your devotion at Internet Cafe and loved this blog entry as well. I could relate to having to let go of your son as I am having to do the same thing. And I too had to resign from something I LOVED doing at my church--leading women in bible study. I still don't understand it sometimes, but your message here was an encouragement...just hearing you say that you can now see God opening other doors for you..please pray that He will do that for me as well!
Thanks for sharing your heart,
Amy

~ Dawn ~ said...

Hello, I found your blog through Internet Cafe Devotions. This was just what I needed to read. This was my reminder to let go and let God. Thank you!