Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Make a Choice Monday - On Tuesday!

Monday came and went like a flash before my eyes. I hit the ground running from the time I got up. School, dentist, Christmas shopping, looking at cameras with my daughter so she can decide which one she wants, babysit the little grand baby, cook dinner, clean up dinner, decorate tree, and fall into bed watching a holiday movie with the kiddos. Whew! Some days I can hardly breathe let alone blog. Sorry that it's Tuesday instead of Monday. I can't believe a whole week has gone by and I haven't posted a thing.

The thing that has been on my heart lately is Christmas and my expectations. I have been feeling very nostalgic and I feel as though I have had a visit from the ghost of Christmas past. I have replayed in my mind all the Christmas celebrations and traditions in the past and my heart is a bit saddened. I always had grand expectations on how the tree should look and the way the house should stay clean for visitors. I was angry when I would give the tree one last look before I went to bed and all the decorations were in one spot or the bottom half had no decorations at all because I had babies and toddlers.

I should have embraced those moments. They were moments in time NEVER to be done again. Last night my three youngest decorated the tree all by themselves. It is beautiful. I just sat back and watched. I was at a crossroad. I had a choice to make. I could have taken over and done it my way or I could let them do it. I also could have been sad because my husband was working and my daughter was busy. Who knows where Chris was and the other two don't live at home anymore. I am in a season of change. Another crossroad where I have a choice. I can embrace the ones who are here and excited about decorating or I could feel bitter and angry because the others aren't here.

I am glad I made some good choices last night. I am sure there will be days this holiday season where I make some not so good ones. Thankfully God is gracious. I will leave you with the lyrics to "O Come All Ye Faithful". We sang it today at Bible study and I just let the words fall fresh on me. I hope you let them fall fresh on you. He invites us to come and behold Him. That is the real meaning of this holiday. It is not about the tree or the decorations. It is not about a clean house or the perfect present. Just sit back and grasp that His birth meant our salvation!

Have a blessed day!

O Come All Ye Faithful
Joyful and triumphant,
O come ye, O come ye to Bethlehem.
Come and behold Him,
Born the King of Angels;
O come, let us adore Him,
O come, let us adore Him,
O come, let us adore Him,
Christ the Lord.

O Sing, choirs of angels,
Sing in exultation,
Sing all that hear in heaven God's holy word.
Give to our Father glory in the Highest;
O come, let us adore Him,
O come, let us adore Him,
O come, let us adore Him,
Christ the Lord.

All Hail! Lord, we greet Thee,
Born this happy morning,
O Jesus! for evermore be Thy name adored.
Word of the Father, now in flesh appearing;
O come, let us adore Him,
O come, let us adore Him,
O come, let us adore Him,
Christ the Lord

2 comments:

Julie Gillies said...

Hi Denise,

Your crazy days sound like mine! At least I know I'm not the only one struggling to fit it all in AND find the energy to do it.

I love how you let your kids have at it with decorating the tree...and kept your peace about it.

Have a wonderful week!

Kay said...

Indeed, Denise, come let us adore Him! What a lovely thought to lead us into the Christmas season. That, after all, is what it's all about.

I appreciate your post about choosing to embrace what you have instead of dwelling on what you don't. I guess that's a choice we have to make multiple times every day. Like you, I make better choices sometimes than others. Thanks for helping me think a little bit more about the consequences of those choices.

Merry Christmas!
Kay