Thursday, February 25, 2010

Snow Flakes

I see the snow falling outside my window. Right now it is the big flakes that kind of blow around a bit before falling to the ground. They make there way down to the ground swirling in circles and blowing to the right and to the left before settling gently on the ground.

It is a picture of how my mind has been lately. Swirling. Going left. Going right. Floating higher and then lower. Decisions to be made and work to be done. When life gets this way(and it often does)I have to stop and ask myself two questions:

1. Am I listening for God's direction?
2. If I think I am and still can't hear Him, why?

The first one is a no brainer. I know if I have even attempted to listen for God's voice or not. But the second is a bit trickier. Sometimes in all my self-righteousness I think I am listening when I'm really not. I know what I want and I try to manipulate the situation to get the result I want. Not only that but I want to hear Him in a big way. I want to hear Him like a roaring wind, or earthquake, or maybe even a fire. But all too often He speaks in a "gentle whisper" and I need to be still and quiet myself to be able to hear it. That is how He showed Himself to Elijah and that I am sure is how He would like to reveal Himself to me.

The LORD said, "Go out and stand on the mountain in the presence of the Lord, for the LORD is about to pass by." Then a great and powerful wind tore the mountains apart and shattered the rocks before the Lord, but the LORD was not in the wind. After the wind there was an earthquake, but the LORD was not in the earthquake. After the earthquake came a fire, but the LORD was not in the fire. And after the fire came a gentle whisper. ~1 Kings 19:11-12


So as the snow here continues to swirl around I know my mind does not need to. I just need to sit back and listen for the gentle whisper. Have a blessed day!



3 comments:

Julie Gillies said...

Enjoy that beautiful snow, Denise!
Listening for His whisper with you.

Let'sMakeADifference said...

I'm finally getting back to you. :( I was trying to send you the exact link that I mentioned about earning money while blogging, but I can't figure it out,(so sad). If you go to my blog, the site is on my sidebar...organisingyourway. At that site search for 'making money blogging' I'm still praying about our discussion! Love you!

Flamingo Mama said...

thanks for this....it is making me think before i head off for my quiet time. i sometimes have difficulty because i start thinking i hear him regarding something i want in almost every situation!