Thursday, March 4, 2010

books, books, books

I love to see words in print. I always have. Nothing more exciting than cracking open a brand new book. I love the smell of it and the sound it makes and nothing sounds better to me than sitting in church or Bible study and listening to the sound of pages in a Bible flipping.

I have a zillion books. Some I have read, some are partially read, and still others I have yet touch. It is almost an obsession really. Some of my best memories are of my grandma taking me to the library and checking out a bunch of books. I would then go to her apartment and spend the afternoon on her red leather recliner getting lost in the words.

I was taken to the little farm in Charlottes Web and the magical world of Narnia. I would be so lost and mesmerized that I wouldn't move the whole afternoon. I loved to write when I was little too. I remember writing a rhyming book and illustrating it all by myself. I was so proud of that book. I think what made it so special is my dad was proud of it. He had a bunch of friends at our house one day and he made me show it to them. I just couldn't believe it. Precious memories.

So here is my fear.....is the printed word going out of style??? Are libraries and used book sales going to be a thing of the past? I hope not. I can't imagine reading everything digitally. I thought about asking for a Kindle for Christmas. Greg thought it would be an excellent idea. The problem is how would I dog ear pages and underline important things??? And what about the books that move me and change me and are stained with my tears?

Today go to the library or book store. Buy a real book. Read. Let your kids see you read. Encourage them to. Read out loud as a family. I love to hear Greg reading to the kids and some of my best school days are spent on the couch curled up reading to the kids. It is something you will never regret. Who knows where it will take you. Books can transport us places we otherwise may never go.

Well I need to go, I am going away for the weekend. I need to pack(books of course)and clean up and help poor Greg with his lesson tomorrow. He is taking my place at our co-op and needs to teach K & 1st grade.

By the way, what do you think of the new blog design??? I would love to hear from you. Have a blessed day!




src="http://assets.blogaliciousdesigns.com/clients/Denise_choosingtoday/new/signature.png" style="border: 0 !important; background:

transparent;"/>

5 comments:

cherise said...

Love the new design! My two favorite colors. : )

Let'sMakeADifference said...

Your blog looks BEAUTIFUL! Have a great weekend!

Jen said...

I've been thinking the same thing lately regarding the kindle ~ yes, it would be cool, but I, too LOVE my books ~ even the scribbles in them from my children....

Your new design is GORGEOUS, and although I don't always comment, I do keep up with your blog and LOVE IT!

Smith7 said...

Greg did a great job teaching for you today.
Hope you have alot of fun!

Flamingo Mama said...

love the new look! very professional!!

and yes, i loooove books too. i just can't picture cuddling myself up with a kindle:)