Monday, March 1, 2010

The Heart of a Mother

I am sitting here having my second cup of coffee. I need to be starting school and getting things moving around here but I couldn't without first jumping on the blog and giving a little update.

I have been up since 5:30. I get up and make sure my son gets off to class. His first one starts at 7:00 on Mondays and Wednesdays and with my mama heart I can't bear the thought of him getting up and leaving alone without someone to say goodbye, I love you, and please be careful. After that I see Greg off to work, saying the same three things.

I guess it doesn't really matter how old they get(kids not husband - him and I are already old:)some things never change.

I have been struck lately watching the Olympics and hearing the stories about the parents of these athletes and the sacrifices they have made to get their kids where they are. I love when they show the parents faces after a medal is won. The look of pride and overflowing love. I almost like that more than seeing the actual athlete.

The funny thing about it is your kid doesn't even need to be an Olympic athlete to feel that way. My heart overflows when I watch my 7 year old make his first basket or my daughters first home run last year in softball. I would have to say that I think I feel their victories and defeats more deeply then I feel my own. Motherhood is an amazing thing.

I am just so blessed to be where I am at right now. Now I do not want to paint a picture of perfection here. This is not a place of b-ball shots always made and home runs all the time. We have disappointments, arguments, and fears for our kids. I spend much of my time just crying out to God over things but at the end of the day I know I would not have had this life any other way. I would not trade it for anything in spite of all the worry, sleepless nights, and gut wrenching crys that I have been privileged to go through. It has made me the woman I am today. God knows the heart of parent. He was one. He witnessed and felt the victories and the pain of His child also.

I am going to talk about worry sometime this week but for now I will leave you with a picture of Coco right before he made his very first basket ever. You could probably hear me cheering two towns over. I know I was as proud as any parent of an Olympian. Have a blessed day!





1 comment:

kaycar said...

well, i guess Gregs obsession for getting every single shot paid off this time. That photo is priceless.