Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Livin' with a rebellious heart....

Struggling. Wrestling. Fighting. That is what I spend most of my time doing with God. I don't want it to be that way. Actually, I hate it. I have been doing a lot of thinking about this lately. I believe the root is being revealed to me.

I am a results oriented person. I like to set high goals. I always say I can endure anything for a time if I know what the result will be in the end. But what happens when we endure and we endure and don't get the result we want? I know what my first reaction is...rebellion! And at the root of that rebellion is my need to control everything including the outcome. Well, in case you haven't noticed you can't control people for sure and often you can't control the circumstances that come your way.

Last week in Bible study we spent the week looking at rebellion. Here are the five characteristics of a rebellious child of God from the study Breaking Free:

1. A rebellious child of God doesn't act like a child of God.

2. A rebellious child of God isn't willing to listen to the Lord's instruction.

3. A rebellious child prefers pleasant illusions over truth.

4. A rebellious child of God relies on oppression.

5. A rebellious child of God depends on deceit.

Wow! Do I do that? Yes, sometimes I have been known to do all five. It has been a lot to think about this week but God is so gracious. He doesn't bring us anything to condemn us but to bring us freedom!

I hope to be posting more often but the reality of it is I have a very busy next few days. Greg, Cayla, Catey and I will be spending the day tomorrow in Hershey. There is a Toby Mac and Skillet concert tomorrow night. We will go help the caterer for breakfast and lunch and then Greg will take the girls back tomorrow night for the concert. I need to stay home and make sure I am all prepared to speak to a MOPS group Friday morning. Greg will be teaching my K/1st grade class again. He cracks me up because he said he doesn't want to be "outdone" by the other teachers so he wants a really cool lesson.

Cayla has her first scrimmage Friday night. I will be at an event with EFCA in New Jersey all day on Saturday. So....if I don't get on again until next week I am sorry! I do think about the blog everyday but I don't always get to post. Hope your day is blessed!


No comments: