Thursday, April 15, 2010

Can I be o.k.??????

% of Bible Believers.........

Grandparents
65%

Parents
35%

Generation Y
4%

88% Christian Raised Children Leave Church at 18 and....

NEVER RETURN!!!!!!!!

I read these statistics today. I was saddened. When you have a child who chooses to walk away from the Lord the emotions can be paralyzing. "Anything but this" you say to yourself because you know anything else you can help them with. You can fix it. This you can not. You can not believe for them. They have to own it. Isn't that all we want from the beginning anyway? For them to own it. But when they don't our heart breaks.

So today I had two questions I needed to ask myself. Will my child come back like the prodigal son? And if not, can I still be o.k.??? Tough questions. The first I can't answer I can only pray and pray and pray some more. The second though is complicated but at least it has an answer.

YES! I can be o.k. I can choose today, in spite of the sadness I feel, to believe and trust God. To love Him more than anything else in my life. To honor Him even when I don't get the answers I want.

After yet another conversation with my son, in which I felt like I was being pecked to death by a duck by the way, I wanted to give up hope and fall apart. I stood at the same crossroads that I have stood at so many times before but this time I chose to just believe that I am free and even though Satan wants me to lose hope I don't need to.

His word says it is for freedom that we have been set free. It doesn't say that we will eventually be free but that we are free. I don't need that old yoke of slavery anymore. I am o.k. I can be o.k. tomorrow even if the first question doesn't get answered. Even if there is more being pecked by the duck!!!! I AM FREE!

I read an awesome book on raising teens. It is called "The Space Between" by Walt Mueller. I wish I had read it years ago and highly recommend it to anyway with children in their life.

I hope if anyone reading this is struggling with a prodigal child knows that they too can be o.k. God sees our pain. He hears our cries. He knows our heart. What we sow in tears we will someday reap in joy. Praise Him! Hallelujah! Have a blessed night.

No comments: