Wednesday, February 9, 2011

What I'm Reading Wednesday

It’s Wednesday and we are starting our discussion on Made to Crave. Just a few housekeeping details before we start. I will post any direct quotes from the book in red. My response will be bolded in black. I will pull out the things that stuck out to me the most and also maybe a question or two from the end of each chapter. If you are reading the book please jump in and add comments. We have so much to learn from one another I don’t want my voice to be the only one heard. With that said this week I will discuss the intro and chapter one…..

Intro: Finding Your “Want To”

To others, 167 is a dream weight. In my case, the number itself was not the issue. The issue was how I felt mentally, spiritually, and physically. It was time to be honest with myself.(page 13)

Lysa is so right with this statement. The number is not the issue. We get so caught up in what the scale says that we forget about the condition of our heart and most of our unhealthy choices come out of an unhealthy heart. Getting honest is always the first step to change. An honest evaluation and keen awareness of where you are and where you want to be will be the catalyst for real change in your life.

God made us capable of craving so we’d have an unquenchable desire for more of Him, and Him alone. Nothing changes until we make the choice to redirect our misguided cravings to the only one capable of satisfying them.(page 16)

Ugh! Nothing new there. We all know we have empty space that was created to be filled by God so then why do we always grasp for the things that make us even emptier. I know why…because they feel good and they are usually a quick temporary fix. I am not just talking about food here. It can be anything we exalt above our desire for God. That is the definition of a stronghold, isn’t it? And quick is the key word because we want things to feel better and feel better fast. Our feelings deceive us….The heart is deceitful above all else.

Chapter 1: What’s Really Going On Here?

As I was studying this story I realized how intentionally Satan chooses his tactics. He knows where we are weak. He desires to lure us away from God. And he knows what works…the cravings of the sinful man, the lust of his eyes, and the boasting of what he has or does.(page 22)

I hope we all realize Satan’s tactics. We need to always be on alert because he knows where we are weak. He can’t read our minds but he sure knows how to read our behavior. I think we often kid ourselves into thinking he is too busy to mess with us and in our denial we end up falling flat on our face completely lured away from God.

Jesus quotes the truth of scripture to defeat temptation (page 22). Have you ever used scripture in this way? What was the result? How do you feel about the idea of using this approach to address your unhealthy eating patterns?(question 5 page 26)

I have used scripture in this way and it is a method I teach often. Scripture is our offensive weapon. It is the divine power we have to demolish any stronghold. The result was always victory. I believe we can use this method to address our unhealthy eating patterns and anything else that we have exalted above God.

So what about you???? What struck you in these two chapters? Please share with us. Next Wednesday we will discuss chapters 2&3.

Have a blessed day!

2 comments:

Made to Mother said...

I was very struck by the 1 John 2:15-16 passage and the 3 ways that Satan tries to tempt us. Most of all, I loved how she showed us how Eve and Jesus were both tempted in the same ways that Satan tempts us. I always feel closer to God when I read of someone (especially Jesus) dealing with the same things I am. Isn't great to have Christ's example of how we are to defeat temptation? Having a action plan with scriptures to defeat temptations is really empowering! I have often read "Everything is permissible' - but not everything is beneficial." from 1 Corinthians 10:23 and felt convicted. I have even thought of using it as a memory verse, but I think that it is more effective to say out loud. I am excited to write a few scriptures on post-it notes to keep in helpful places!

Made to Mother said...

I can't wait for tomorrow's post. I just finished reading the next two chapters and they are great!