Wednesday, February 16, 2011

What I'm Reading Wednesday

Can I just say I am loving this book. One of the things I like the most is how easy it is to read and how short the chapters are. I actually feel like I am accomplishing something:)

Replacing My Cravings - Chapter 2

Vowing to do better, eat healthier, and make good choices, I head into my dy only to find myself making more excuses, rationalizations, and promises for later.

Always later.

And the cycle I've come to hate and feel powerless to stop continues.(page 28)

I know exactly what she is talking about. I am queen of later. It is a trap. Tomorrow comes and I still fall prey to temptations. A cycle that desperately needs broken. Thankfully God is interested in breaking our cycles. I also love how honest she was about she starts every morning on the scale. I had to laugh because I have weighed myself everyday for years and I go through the same ritual and I hate it.

How do you respond to the idea of using your cravings as a prompt to pray? How has prayer helped or failed to help in your previous food battles?(page 33)

I think it is an awesome idea. Just like the idea of using scripture in the previous chapter. I just never tried it I guess. I used to never think of my spiritual and physical being connected. Prayer was never my first response when trying to lose weight or fight off a craving.

Getting a Plan - Chapter 3

Food had become like a drug. And honestly, it's a good drug of choice for a Christian woman. Every church event I attended readily provided my drug out in the open with no hesitation or judgment.(page 37)

Amen.....enough said.

My changes were always temporary; therefore my results were also temporary. (page 38)

This has always been my issue. I lose weight and I go back to old habits and I gain it back. This chapter was all about finding a plan that works and making it a lifestyle. That is the key. It is not a diet it is a way of life.

Do your feelings change when the plan is about food, what you will eat and not eat?(page 40)

Yes! As soon as I have a plan in place I feel deprived, I crave things, and I get grumpy. I need to change my perspective. On page 39 she encouraged us to look at it as embracing healthy choices rather than denying ourselves.

Well there are some of my thoughts....what about you??? Next week we will discuss chapters 4 and 5!

Have a blessed day!

2 comments:

Becky said...

I am enjoying the book also and the practical steps to help with craving God over food.
I also had never thought to pray at the moment of craving food that I don't need. I have been trying this week to put this into practice. Another thing that I struggle with, as soon as I think I am going to change my eating habits I am suddenly craving everything that is not healthy.

Made to Mother said...

I am just loving this book, too! I feel like she really got me in these chapters. I felt convicted and understood all at the same time. I had to agree with how easy it is to eat poorly as a Christian. We try to make each other feel good with comfort food at all of our gatherings. When we have a meal together, it is usually not very healthy because we prepare large, economical meals to share.
Getting excited about a plan has never been my problem. I am super excited to start something new, but get discouraged easily and want to throw in the towel, especially when it comes to food. I will need to rely on God more in the discouraged moments and pray for His strength to carry me through it.
Recently my family made the change to gluten free foods because of a possible food sensitivity that my daughter and I have. This desire to change our eating habits to help her be healthy is something that God is really using to change me. My heart breaks every time I tell this sweet, yet also very stubborn, little 2 year old that she can not have something that she really wants because it could make her sick. God is using this to make me think more about what my whole family eats. It is also challenging me to think of my Heavenly Father saying the same thing to me. "No, you can't eat that or have a second helping because it is making your body sick and tired. I will help you be strong when your flesh is weak. Trust me to know what is best for you."
I just love this book and the way it is making me think about my life and my habits. Thanks again (I might just thank you in every one of my posts) for leading us through this book!