Wednesday, February 23, 2011

What I'm Reading Wednesday

Wow! The last week just flew by here. Between appointments and school I just haven't been on here:( It started last Thursday with some record high temperatures which I absolutely love and now we are back to the freezing cold which I absolutely hate. Oh well the way time flies around here I will be sitting in the warm sunshine before i know it. Yeah! I thought this week was a good week in our reading and this book is so easy to read.....so let's get to it.

Friends Don't Let Friends Eat before Thinking - Chapter 4

We must be aware that desperation breeds degradation. In other words, when what is lacking in life goes from being an annoyance to an anxiety we run the risk of compromising in ways we never thought we would. (page 42)

This is so true. When something is lacking we will become desperate. I know in my own life I have ended up compromising in many ways I never thought possible. Awareness of this fact is the first step to safeguard yourself. Walking around saying that it could never happen to you is one of the most foolish things you can do.

Be aware and be on guard, sweet sister. Know that these are devised schemes to lure you away from your commitments. Find a friend who can speak rationality into your irrational impuleses. A friend who will hold you accountable, speak the truth in love, and pray for you. (page 43)

Accountability will be a huge factor in your success or failure. We were never meant to do life alone. It is much easier said than done usually because of our insecurities.

Complete this sentence: I do/do not want to invite a friend to help me on my journey to healthy eating because....(page 47)

Because then I would have to be honest with myself. It is much easier to try and fool myself than to try and fool someone else.

Made for More - Chapter 5

"You were made for more, Lysa, you were made fore more." I remembered it especially in those early weeks of my new healthy eating adventure when I was tempted by one million assaults on my sugar-deprived taste buds. I just kept mentally repeating.....made for more......made for more.(page 50)

The neurons in our brain create paths based on the things we repeat the most. If what we say to ourselves is mostly negative the path becomes more well defined and easier traveled. Repeating "made for more" to ourselves can change the path of our regular thinking and thus change our life. You get control of your thoughts and you regain control of your life.

I would love to share more today but I need to be going. What about you??? What struck you this week. Please check out the comments section. Becky and Made to Mother have lots of great things to say. Next week is chapters 6 and 7!

Have a blessed day!

1 comment:

Made to Mother said...

I am really feeling like Esau this week. Satan has really been attacking me in other areas of my life, and with our new gluten free diet, I am craving chocolate and baked goods like no body's business. I feel like throwing up my hands and saying, "Chocolate chip cookies, you got me through stuff in the past. Let's grab our dear friend milk and have a pity party." I need to remind myself that what I am feeling now will not last. I will not give away my commitment to please my physical desires.
I read half of chapter 5 and came back to it days later. I read that I was made for more. I repeated that I was made for more. Satan reminded me of these deep pain of rejection that has become a sore wound in my life and I felt powerless. Does anyone else have a list of ways that you identify yourself outside of God? I know I do and Satan has succeeded in the past at using them to keep me from experiencing what God has made me for. I need to work this week on replacing my list with God's list (page53).