Wednesday, March 2, 2011

What I''m Reading Wednesday

Good Wednesday morning! I hope you all are doing well. This week's reading was once again convicting but also uplifting. I never feel condemnation when reading this. Lysa's honesty and vulnerability make it so easy to relate.

Growing Closer to God - Chapter 6

Yes, I want to lose weight. But this journey is so much more than that. It really is about learning to tell myself no and learning to make wiser choices daily.(page 60)

I think when we finally come to the realization that life is a journey and it is about learning to deny ourselves and take up our cross daily more than about the one thing that is in front of us at the moment(losing weight, relationship struggles, addictions, etc.)we finally are at a place to make real change. We can make wiser choices each day and before we know it we will have permanent lasting results in our life.

Being ruled by something other than God diminishes our commitment and will make us feel increasingly distant from Him.(page 66)

Well said. We so often work on so many areas of our life that we think we can just hang on to this one bad habit or we think there is this one thing we really just can't change but God won't mind because we are doing well in other aspects of our life. The truth is that the one thing we are struggling with is keeping us from the relationship God desires to have with us. Not only that eventually we wake up and realize how that one thing has made us distant from God.

I'm Not Defined by the Numbers - Chapter 7

I am a Jesus girl who can step on the scale and see the numbers as an indication of how much my body weighs and not as an indication of my worth.(page 74)

Ugh! That was a tough statement for me to read. I have been obsessed with my weight and how I look for more years than I care to share. I remember my French teacher in high school pulling me aside because she feared I was anorexic. The number on the scale that I look at more than once a day is usually what I use to define myself and what my day will be like. I feel a twinge of embarrassment just admitting it but it is true. A battle that I have yet been able to overcome. I have for too long confused wanting to be healthy with vanity.

We can literally say to a comment or a thought that presents itself to us, "Are you true? Are you beneficial? Are you necessary?" And if the answer is no, then we don't open the door of our heart. We make the choice to walk away from the comment and all the negative thoughts it could harvest if we let it in.(page 75)

I hope you caught that....it is our choice. So often as women we take one little comment and we run so far with it that it nearly threatens to destroy us. How freeing to know we have the power to not allow that to happen. We don't need to dwell on things that are not true, beneficial, or necessary. We don't need to feed those negative thoughts. We can close the door on it and move on victoriously!

Well ladies, I would love to hear from any of you that are reading along. Next week chapters 8&9. I have some other stuff to share but haven't had a spare minute to get on here but I hope to before next Wednesday. I have a MOPS group Friday I am speaking at and a retreat at our church this Friday night and Saturday. I am also preparing some training material for a women's ministry team I am on. With all that and regular life stuff the blog is hard to maintain but I don't want to give it up because when I do get on it is very therapeutic:)

Have a blessed day!

No comments: