Wednesday, March 23, 2011

What I''m Reading Wednesday

Happy Wednesday! Once again the reading this week was awesome. Awesome in a very convicting way.

This Isn't Fair - Chapter 10

Well this I know has been a reoccurring theme in my life. I can't count the times I have said those words, given in to the temptation, and cried myself to sleep because of the guilt.

Our flesh buys right into Satan's lie that it's not fair for things to be withheld from us. So we bite into the forbidden fruit and allow Satan to write "shame" across our heart.(page100)

And whether we are talking about having premarital sex or cheating on our diet, once we taste the forbidden fruit, we will crave it worse than we craved it before. Thereby giving temptation more and more power. And given enough power, temptation will consume our thoughts, redirect our actions, and demand our worship. Temptation doesn't take kindly to being starved.(page 101)

Wow! Powerful words. Convicting words. And no it does not take kindly to being starved. It will kick, scream, and fight for our undivided attention. Satan can not take our salvation but he will snatch up our freedom and our purpose here on earth quicker than you can ever imagine.

God's power is made perfect in weakness. This stirs my heart. Weakness is hard, but weakness doesn't have to mean defeat. It is my opportunity to experience God's power firsthand. Had I said yes to that one bite that first night of vacation, there would have been more compromises.Compromise built upon compromise equals failure.(pages103-104)

Yes it does. We do one little thing and the next thing you know we are sitting at the bottom of a well decorated pit wondering how we got here and how we are ever going to be able to get out. We can not compromise girls. We need to stand firm and rejoice that even though we may be weak God's power can be made perfect in that weakness.

Stinkin', Rotten, Horrible, No Good Day - Chapter 11

This chapter had so much good to say. We do need to be prepared for the hard times because they are as inevitable as the gray hairs in my head. Lysa gave a lot of good info on what to do in the hard times.

Taking off my mask means I have to admit that there's a problem, and I really don't want to do that. Admitting I have a problem will likely require that I make changes, and changes are hard.(page 112)

I think that sums it all up. This is hard. Nothing about it is easy. We want easy street. We dream about it. We want to wake up one morning thin, happy, and contented and we don't want any part of it to be hard. But it is hard so instead we wear the mask and ignore the elephant in the room until we reach our breaking point.

I really liked what she said about our prayers where we don't speak at all. There is such value in just being still and quiet. It is a discipline I a know I need to work on.

Well there are just a few of my thoughts this week! I would love to share more but a messy house, 3 kids who still need to finish school, and 2 dogs are calling my name:) What about you??? Next week we will discuss chapters 12 and 13!

Have a blessed week!

No comments: