Wednesday, March 30, 2011

What I'm Reading Wednesday

Is any one else enjoying this book as much as I am??? If your not reading it I hope you get yourself a copy. It is about so much more than just food and diets. In fact if that's what you thought and that's why your not reading it I encourage you to get the books and read it. We all have empty places and we all were made to crave and we all at one time or another filled our cravings with things that have been unhealthy.

I wish I had more time right now to get on here more often and tell you whats going on in my life. Sorry I have been reduced to just posting on Wednesday's lately. Did go shopping on Friday and maybe this Friday I can jump on and share some of my "finds" with you all.

Now onto to this weeks reading...

The Curse of the Skinny Jeans - Chapter 12

First I must say I did just love the title of this chapter:)

Like most women, I had kept this pair of skinny jeans in my closet. They had made it through many, many closet purges. All of my other jeans from a size I hadn't seen in quite a while had long since been bagged up and taken to Goodwill. But this particular pair of jeans had been spared as a symbol of a promise I'd made to myself to one day lose the weight - again.(page 119)

Ugh! I am so embarrassed to say I have a pair of red suede pants in my closet that I refuse to part with and I try on every once in a while hoping to fit into them again. And I need to ask myself why??? They are ugly and outdated and I won't ever wear them in public again.

This is the curse of the skinny jeans. My body size is not tied to my happy. If my happy was missing when I was larger, it will still be missing when I get smaller. (page 120) Tying my happy to the wrong things is partially what caused my weight gain in the first place.(page 121)

Profound. Why is it we think if we achieve a certain goal we will ultimately be happy? Why do we tie our happy to "things" whether it be a certain size or a certain position or a certain relationship? Even those of us who know better. Those of us who have been studying our Bible for years and know all the right answers still in the secret places of our soul long to fill ourselves with things that will not ultimately make us happy. I love what she went on to say at the bottom of the page about Oprah. How often do we sit on our couches feeling sorry for ourselves watching someone we think "has it all". Having it all is a big fat myth. I remember when Oprah "unveiled" her new body. I remember thinking she has everything that would make me happy. Not true but Satan loves when we buy into that lie.

We are taught to remain in God's love so that we won't tie our happy to anything but God. So that our joy will be complete. Complete. As in not lacking anything. Complete. As in filled up to the brink with joy no matter if we are wearing our skinny jeans or not. Complete. As in satisfied with a fullness we can't get any other way. Can you imagine how beautiful it would be to live as a complete person?(page123)

Beautiful it would be:) And it sounds so simple yet its not. We know what we should do and yet we fail to do it. Thank goodness His mercies are new every morning and He is abounding in love and grace for us. And besides I don't want to be an incomplete person that exhausts everyone around me in the impossible pursuit of being filled by them. I also loved what she said on page 125 about filling our afternoons His thoughts of love towards others and seeing our skinny jeans as a fun reward, nothing more.

Overindulgence - Chapter 13

Overindulgence is overindulgence. Eating in excess is a sin. The Bible calls it gluttony, which is defined in the dictionary as "excess in drinking or eating".(page 128)

Good thoughts to keep in mind instead we tend to minimize our overeating and maximize someone else's overindulgence in alcohol or other addictions to make ourselves feel better.

Overstuffing ourselves with food or drinking until we get drunk or getting wrapped up in the affections of an adulterous relationship are all desperate attempts to silence cries of a hungry soul.(page 129)

I just love the way she states information that just cuts right to the heart of the matter. We have all these issues that are always just symptoms of something deeper. A cry from a hungry soul. I love her reminder that we were created with this longing so that we would pursue God. Also if we don't fill our souls with spiritual nourishment we will always want to numb our longings with temporary physical pleasures. That sums it all up for me. The struggles I have and that I see others have all come down to self medicating to numb ourselves. You know the things that catch us up and seem to catch others up and we sit and pity ourselves and wonder why. It is because as Lysa said it is a bigger issue than emotions it's really about spiritual deprivation. There was so much more I would love to comment on but I will just leave you with the verse from page 133 and let that be our prayer today!

Because of the LORD's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. I say to myself, "The LORD is my portion; therefore I will wait for him." Lamentations 3:22-24

Chapters 14 and 15 next week. Have a blessed day!

No comments: