Wednesday, April 6, 2011

What I''m Reading Wednesday

This was another great week of reading!!!! I struggled with the first chapter because I never considered myself an emotional eater. I just like food and I eat way too much of the wrong things but she had a lot of good things to say about emptiness and how we fill it. I know I fill mine with unhealthy things all the time. Shopping is unfortunately one of those things:( Not that there is anything wrong with it but when I am feeling particularly empty I do tend to go drop a bunch of cash that I shouldn't.

Emotional Emptiness - Chapter 14

Emptiness has a way of demanding to be filled. And when I couldn't figure out how to fill what my heart was lacking, my stomach was more than willing to offer a few suggestions.(page 138)


We will always have empty spaces that cry out to be filled that is the feeling given to us so that we would seek God. I pray that I will become more aware if I am eating out of emptiness. I too need to become "unsettled".

It's so easy to park our minds in bad spots. To dwell and rehash and wish things were different. But to think on hard things keeps us in hard spots and only serves to deepen our feelings of emotional emptiness.(page 141)

Ugh! Once again a mind/body connection. We will never behave differently than what we think or dwell on. I do love the story she told about her dad. I remember things being particularly difficult at home when I was young but there was a day where I was on my dad's lap and things seemed so peaceful. I remember staring at a spot on the fireplace and asking God to please allow me to always remember that feeling and that moment every time I looked at that spot on the fireplace. He has been so gracious because I was probably only about 5 but I have never forgotten that moment and it was that happy memory I need to choose to dwell on.

We must deal with our triggers. We must identify our places of emotional emptiness and admit how futile it is to try to fill those places with food.(page 143)

This is crucial. I believe there is something that triggers all sin/struggles in our life. We need to figure out what that is and learn how to handle it when it comes our way. Often time figuring this all out is painful so we avoid it and live a depressed life. It is like lancing a wound. Extremely painful at the time but in the end all you are left with is a scar and scars remind us but they don't hurt anymore.

The Demon in The Chip Poster - Chapter 15 And the power was to acknowledge that I'm not yet at a place where I can handle just a few chips. My brokenness cannot support that kind of freedom. (page 149)

Vulnerable, broken taste buds can't handle certain kinds of freedom. So, boundaries keep us safe, not restricted.(page 151)


We do need to place boundaries on ourselves for protection not to bring harm. Recognizing we are not ready for certain freedoms is crucial to our success. It is like an alcoholic who knows not to go to a bar or just have one glass of wine with dinner. Food is no different to the overweight person struggling with food. But I also love that she also said at some point we can enjoy some freedom and allow certain things back into our life in moderation. That is very balanced thinking.

Well that's what I got for this week:) If you are reading along please share your thoughts! Next week chapters 16 and 17.

Have a blessed day!

No comments: