Wednesday, April 27, 2011

What I''m Reading Wednesday

Sorry I never got back on here last week. Update on my friend: She had surgery and is in rehab. She might be coming home the end of this week but it will be a long recovery(18 months)so keep praying.

Now to our reading. I will be discussing chapters 16 and 17 today and in two weeks will finish the book with chapters 18 and 19. I will be out of town with my hubby next week.

Chapter 16 - Why Diets Don't Work

Diets don't work for me. I seem to be able to sacrifice for a season and then I get tired of sacrificing. I hit my goal weight and then slowly slip back into old habits. The weight creeps back on and I feel like a failure. Like I said, diets don't work for me. So, I'm not on a diet. I'm on a journey with Jesus to learn the fine art of self-discipline for the purpose of holiness.(page 158)

Well said and yes it is a fine art and it is a learning process. I realized reading this how much of my life I spend saying I'm on a "diet" but really I am on a journey to establish a healthy eating plan for life.

Now, hear me on this. We aren't to flee food. We need food. But we are to flee the control food can have over our lives.(Page 159)

Great point. I loved how she talked about not becoming legalistic in all of this.

Chapter 17 - The Very Next Choice We Make

Holiness means to be set apart for a noble use. The very next choice we make isn't really about whether or not to eat chips, cookies, or French fries smothered in chili and processed cheese. It's about whether we are going to stay away from those things that are not beneficial for what we are created to be.(page 169)

Life is all about our next choice and our next choice has the power to change our destiny. It can lead to permanent and amazing changes in our life. We get so caught up in the big picture but if we could just break it down into just doing the next thing and doing the right thing. Small steps will inevitably lead to huge changes.

May our prayer be that we too ask God to unsettle us. Sustained discipline is possible. Just make the next choice be the right choice.

Have a blessed day!

No comments: