Thursday, October 20, 2011

Need to make a "to do" list?

Life has been moving along here at the speed of light. I have a lot swirling around that empty space under all this bleach blond hair. Every once in a while I start to feel overwhelmed and I know I need to grab a piece of paper and start writing. There is something freeing about the pen hitting the paper and I am able to leave all that has been swirling in my mind there. I am not always a list maker but sometimes it is necessary. It makes things more manageable and I can relax and just do the next thing.

Whenever make my list, I know I then need to come up with a reasonable plan. When I need a reasonable plan to accomplish anything I have a system that came about because I am a procrastinator (have been as long as I can remember). I was the one who crammed for tests and waited until the night before a paper was due to write it. This has its advantages and disadvantages. I used to look at it only in a negative light but I realized having the ability to put some things aside and just enjoy life has its advantages.

Unfortunately if I put too much off and don’t have a plan nothing gets accomplished. So this is what I learned to do:

1. Pray

2. Prioritize

3. Plan

4. Put it into action

I want God to order my "to do" list. I don't want the list to control me but be a guide. If God brings some unexpected thing my way today that is ok too. His word is clear.....

Commit to the Lord whatever you do, and your plans will succeed. ~Proverbs 16:3

In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps. ~Proverbs 16:9


This has helped me tremendously when it comes to planning my homeschooling day/week/year. Or when I have a big project or speaking engagement to prepare for. I will even use this as I prepare to go to the Relevant 11 conference next week.

So tonight I am doing some praying, prioritizing, and planning. When I seek God He shows me how to "put it all into action" and I can rest knowing that He is in control!

Have a blessed night.

BTW....want to read something interesting about lists??? Check out this article. I first read about the "six list" in Sarah Mae's book "31 Days to Clean". I thought it was fascinating because I have long practiced this(only mine is often the "25" list:)


1 comment:

Becky said...

Denise, I presented you with The Lbster Blog Award! I love reading your blog and look forward to your newest post! Can't wait until your book is ready!
http://bargainsbythebagfull.blogspot.com/2011/10/my-first-blog-award-liebster-blog-award.html for all the details!