Saturday, November 5, 2011

Get an Attitude of Gratitude Challenge

I had the privilege of speaking yesterday at Growing as Moms at Mt. Calvary. The topic was thankfulness. They are reading through Lysa TerKeurst book "Am I Messing Up My Kids". She talks about being thankful even for the smelly shoes laying around her house.

As I was preparing my message of course God started speaking directly to my own heart. I think that is the main reason He called me into a speaking ministry. He knew I still had so many lessons to learn.

I talked about gratitude being an attitude we choose. It does not come naturally to us. Gratitude and thanksgiving are a sacrifice we bring to God.

As a Christian I talk a lot about being grateful all the time but am I really? Does my talk match my walk? Can I allow the truth I have in my mind penetrate my heart and most importantly can I really walk out what I believe on the pavement of life?

A life that is messy? A life that is full of trials and pain? A life that most days seems mundane and unimportant?

The place that Satan loves to get me is at the crossroads of my expectations colliding with my reality. It is at that place that I have a choice to make. It is the rubber meeting the road. Will I be thankful and choose to praise Him anyway or will I become bitter?

This month I decided to challenge myself to get an attitude of gratitude no matter what the circumstance in my life. I am challenging myself to put on my God goggles and see things that typically cause me to grumble and complain in a different light. I want to learn to be thankful for those things. I am also memorizing Psalm 100 with my family.

Psalm 100

A psalm. For giving grateful praise.

1 Shout for joy to the LORD, all the earth.
2 Worship the LORD with gladness;
come before him with joyful songs.
3 Know that the LORD is God.
It is he who made us, and we are his[a];
we are his people, the sheep of his pasture.

4 Enter his gates with thanksgiving
and his courts with praise;
give thanks to him and praise his name.
5 For the LORD is good and his love endures forever;
his faithfulness continues through all generations.


Won't you join me??? Today I am starting to memorize this passage. It helps me to read it several times and then write and then meditate on it concentrating on key words.

Also the first thing on my "thankful list" is for the heat pouring out of the old radiators in this very old house this morning. You see I usually complain about the radiators because they take up way too much space in a room and it is hard to arrange furniture but I am asking God to help me see things differently and to be thankful for the warmth.

I will be checking in throughout the month and let you know how I am doing. If you want to join me let me a comment so I can pray for you and we can encourage one another. Let me know what you are thankful for today!

Be blessed!

No comments: