Tuesday, September 4, 2012

7 : An Experimental Mutiny Against Excess by Jen Hatmaker

 

So I read the book.

It got in my business.

I tried to forget the book.

I couldn't.

It all started pretty innocently. 7 by Jen Hatmaker gets casually mentioned at Bible study. They said it was a great book. I love a great book, plus I had some beach time coming up so I downloaded it to my Kindle.

I can never wait to start reading something even if it was intended for the beach. It is sort of like telling my self the cookies are for after dinner.....yeah right. So I started reading. I couldn't put it down. I laughed. I cried at the excess I recognized in my own life. A friend was reading it also and we compared notes and then I left. For Hawaii.

Can anyone say.....EXCESS.

From Haiti to Hawaii in one summer.

Talk about two worlds colliding. I came home and the book, the trip to Haiti, and the James Bible study wouldn't let me alone. The thoughts were all buzzing in my head like a gnat I couldn't get rid of. Not to mention going to hear Shane Claiborne speak. I had been had. If God was trying to tell me something He was telling me loud and clear and I couldn't ignore it anymore.

So today starts my journey with 7. In following the book I'm starting with food and hope to over the next 7 months to rid myself from some excess but most importantly become an empty vessel open to the filling of the Holy Spirit.

Over the next 4 weeks the only 7 foods my daughter and I (she read the book too....it messed her up too) will be consuming are:

Chicken
Spinach
Rice
Yogurt
Apples
Eggs
Ezekiel Bread

I will be drinking water and one cup of black coffee a day(Jen gave up coffee...she was brave....I am not).

I will keep you posted on how this all works and if you get a chance you really need to read the book!

 

1 comment:

Kristen @ Celebrate Every Day With Me said...

I've heard about this book. Sound great . . . and scary. lol. Hang in there. Looking forward to reading your updates.