Monday, November 24, 2014

Being Thankful in a Pinterest Perfect World







I pin lots of things.

I scroll through Pinterest when I am waiting in a waiting room for an appointment, when I'm sitting waiting for a game to start, when I just don't feel like thinking….

There is really nothing wrong with Pinterest itself. I have had a lot of Pinterest successes. New recipes my family has loved like this one for spaghetti bread. I've also found some really cool gift ideas and in general some really useful tips.

The problem isn't with Pinterest.

The problem is with me.

The problem comes when I try to perfect every pin I find. When I want my house to look exactly like my Pinterest board. When I want my kids to behave exactly like the parenting tips said they would if I followed them. I want my meals to be perfect and my clothes and makeup to look just like the pins. I want to show up at parties with the perfect gift in the perfect wrapping wearing a perfect smile.

And when it doesn't turn out that way I get angry. Dissatisfied. Envious of those I think have it all together.

In a state of envy and dissatisfaction I see everything around me in a negative light. I forget about the successes I have had. I forget about the blessings I do have. My quest for perfection leaves me empty every time.

Psalm 119:96 says:

To all perfection I see a limit, but your commands are boundless.

There is a limit to perfection here. We can't be perfect. Our homes can't be perfect. Our kids can't be perfect. Our marriages can't be perfect. Our gifts, our meals, our hair, our clothes, our makeup CAN NOT BE PERFECT!

But God's commands are boundless. We can love God and love others without limit. We can be kind without limit. We can show grace without limit. We can give without limit.

Now I'm not saying to ban Pinterest unless of course you can't be on it for the good you can get from it and it leaves you wanting and dissatisfied every time you are on it.

I'm saying we are already enough without it.

We need to do what God calls us to do. 

He has an individual plan for each of us and my plan doesn't look like your plan. Ephesians 2:10 tells us we are God's masterpiece just the way we are with or with out a Pinterest perfect moment and not only are we a masterpiece but we were created to do good things he prepared ahead of time for us to do.

I don't know about you but I don't want to get so caught up in the quest for perfection that I miss that.

So as we come into this Thanksgiving week let's all be thankful for what we already have. 

Let's do what God calls us to do. 

Let's love like crazy in spite of what else doesn't get done the way we wanted it to.

And if we do all that and we still get a Pinterest perfect moment here and there than that will just be the icing in the cake!

Happy Thanksgiving friends!

Be blessed!




No comments: